Installed TOS 5, no storage pools

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
psikic

Installed TOS 5, no storage pools

Post by psikic »

Hello, I have a F5-422.
I wiped the partitions on all 5 of my drives, and installed TOS 5 from scratch. I then updated to 5.0.150. It does not create any storage pools for me, and it says that there are no storage pools. "No valid data". The button to create a storage pool is also grayed out. It also says there are no volumes, and won't let me create any volumes.

I log in via SSH and do a cat /proc/mdstat and it does show that something exists:

Code: Select all

md0 : active raid5 sda4[0] sdc4[4] sdb4[3] sde4[2] sdd4[1]
      11679363072 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [5/5] [UUUUU]
      bitmap: 0/22 pages [0KB], 65536KB chunk
I then run a fdisk -l /dev/md0 and it shows there is a drive, with no filesystem:

Disk /dev/md0: 10.9 TiB, 11959667785728 bytes, 23358726144 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 524288 bytes / 2097152 bytes
A second problem is my USB storage with a backup of the previous contents of the RAID won't mount. It shows up as ext4/Unmounted.

What should I do, besides rolling back to TOS 4 or installing FreeNAS? I've tried reinstalling TOS 5 several times.
psikic

Re: Installed TOS 5, no storage pools

Post by psikic »

storage pools.PNG
volumes.PNG
external storage.PNG
system.PNG
psikic

Post by psikic »

I just did:

mdadm --stop /dev/md0
mdadm --zero-superblock /dev/sda4 /dev/sdb4 /dev/sdc4 /dev/sdd4 /dev/sde4
and then it let me create a new one in the UI. It is currently Synchronizing now.

I think you have a bug in the setup process for TOS5, where it creates a default storage pool with no volumes but doesn't completely register it with the UI.
TWlhq
TerraMaster Team

Post by TWlhq »

{L_BUTTON_AT}psikic

USB is not mounted because there is no volume and it cannot be automatically mounted on the volume. After the TOS 5 system is installed, there are no storage pools and volumes in the UI. You can try to refresh the browser page or restart TNAS. We will verify and troubleshoot this problem.
psikic

Post by psikic »

mathew23df wrote: 02 Oct 2022, 00:21 I had the same problem, is it fixed now?
I had to do a bunch of finagling to get a storage pool created manually and then get a volume created manually, but once I did that, and rebooted, the USB storage did then auto mount.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

Is your hard drive new or used before?
If your hard disks are all new, you can delete the hard disk array information and recreate the array by referring to the following: viewtopic.php?f=76&t=2196
If there is a problem after you choose to install online, you can try to install the system manually, the download address of the installation package: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3358
In this case, there may be a problem with the file system, and the file system needs to be repaired for mounting.
If you understand a little bit, you can refer to this link: viewtopic.php? f=79&t=2575
If you don't understand, you can contact our support team for remote assistance.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)