USB drives change number

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
ChrisOfTheOT
Great Britain

Re: USB drives change number

Post by ChrisOfTheOT »

TMroy wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 12:25
As 2-bay or 4-bay enclosure contains USB hub or raid controller inside, such kind of device needs to be specially adapted in the TOS system, like what we did for TerraMaster USB DAS models. So we recommend you choose TerraMaster USB products.
Afternoon Roy - thanks for the reply... But this is infuriating. I have just spent £150 on a D4-330 - but the same problem happens. Given the cost, should I just get a refund?
TMroy wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 13:04 Unfortunately, The USB drive letter and path are assigned by the system according to the mounting order of the USB device, and they cannot be fixed...
I have just updated from x150 to 52, then 55. I have also added the D4-300 (above). Now, after the updates, I get a real mess: USB1 shows as usbshare2. I have a second USB1, which shows as usbshare1. USB2 shows as usbshare2: I have no USB3, or usbshare3. See pics:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n5nYap ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xGb_Eg ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FV8mYj ... sp=sharing

Sorry Roy, but I'm just getting angry now.

Chris
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

D4-330 is a Thunderbolt 3 device, it can't be mounted on your TNAS, you must make a mistake.

And you have another D4-300 model? and you plug in your D4-330 and D4-300 altogether to your TNAS? how many drives have you installed on your D4-300?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

USB 1/USB 2 is based on USB device, that means you have two USB devices plugged in. usbshare 1/usbshare 2/usbshare 3 is based on partitions, if you have more partitions on your USB devices, you will have usbshare 4, 5, 6,....
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
ChrisOfTheOT
Great Britain

Post by ChrisOfTheOT »

TMroy wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 22:52 D4-330 is a Thunderbolt 3 device, it can't be mounted on your TNAS, you must make a mistake.
Morning Roy - yes, my mistake, sorry. I have a D4-300, which is connected to my F2-221 (via USB3c). There are no other attached drives or enclosures.
TMroy wrote: 16 Aug 2022, 12:09 USB 1/USB 2 is based on USB device, that means you have two USB devices plugged in. usbshare 1/usbshare 2/usbshare 3 is based on partitions, if you have more partitions on your USB devices, you will have usbshare 4, 5, 6,....
I only have one USB device attaced, the D4-300 (containing three HD). The three disks are all partitioned as single partitions, by TOS (from the F2-221). Since USB1 or 2, etc., is derived from the number of enclosures attached, I should only have USB1 (as I understand it). Is it possible that the drives have retained old information (when it was running 2 seperate USB enclosures) which is over-riding the new, single, enclosure information?
TMroy wrote: 13 Aug 2022, 13:04 Unfortunately, The USB drive letter and path are assigned by the system according to the mounting order of the USB device, and they cannot be fixed...
How would it be possible for TOS to insert USB numbers before 'the mounting order' is established? I will re-format the drives in the D4-300, perhaps that will help. BUT! Will the USB 'mounting order' numbers change again with the next update? If the USB numbers cannot be fixed, how can the 'mount order' be guaranteed every reboot? This is a crazy, random way to connect stuff!

Thanks for your help Roy - even though I get exaperated, your help is very much appreciated. Thank you again.

Cheers,

Chris
ChrisOfTheOT
Great Britain

Post by ChrisOfTheOT »

No, it's just rubbish. I reformated, safe ejected, took out the HD & swapped them into different bays, but everything is just the same: USB1, USB2 (even though I have just one enclosure D4-300), usbshare1 duplicated, usbshare2 showing, but no usbshare3.

Aaaaaaa!

Chris
ChrisOfTheOT
Great Britain

Post by ChrisOfTheOT »

This is much less fun than it sounds...

I took the drives out of the D4-300 and then put them in one-at-a-time - waiting for each to be recognised in 'External drives' before I added the next. The first two were fine - USB1 and usbshare1 and usbshare2, respectively. The last one was not. It is always recognised as USB2 (even though it's in the same DAS), but at least it now shows as usbshare3. This is wrong (s\be USB1), but it might work...!

BUT! Will it all get stuffed again on the next update?

Watch this space...

Cheers,

Chris
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

As such issue does not appear in our lab, would you send us the system log to study?
To generate the system log, go to "TOS desktop > Technical support > issue report".
ChrisOfTheOT
Great Britain

Post by ChrisOfTheOT »

TMroy wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 20:44 please wait for the next USB Copy update.
Afternoon Roy - thanks for getting back to me. The report is on Google Drive as Outlook says it's too big to send. I've emailed the link to TM Support.

I tried to set up a backup with USB Copy, but every time I try to create the task, I get the error 'Opertaion failed' (or similar). This is trying to backup the TNAS to ushshare3 (which shows as USB2). I've said that in the email too.

Cheers,

Chris
ChrisOfTheOT
Great Britain

Post by ChrisOfTheOT »

Morning boys & girls - it took more than a week but I have now got a reply from technical:
... We noticed your problem earlier, and we are recoding new adaptation software for better connection to DAS. This may take a lot of time, please wait for the subsequent TOS version.
Well, not such good news. I wonder which version of TOS will be the one to deal with this issue - and how long is 'a lot of time'? Tricky...

Cheers,

Chris
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

The USB number change issue can be fixed in future releases.