Issue trying to add a bigger HDD to raid 5

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
swalker23

Issue trying to add a bigger HDD to raid 5

Post by swalker23 »

Hello, I own a F4-210 and first installed it with 4x4tb drives in raid 5. I recently purchased two 8tb HDD to expand the size of my raid. I followed the directions in this post viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1543 and afterwards I rebooted my NAS. Currently I only inserted 1 of the 8tb HDD and haven’t done the second one yet. After the raid was rebuilt, I didn’t see a size increase of the raid in the Volume -> Edit area.

I might be jumping the gun here until I installed the second drive but shouldn’t the capacity have increased regardless?

What do I need to do to see the extra added 8tb?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Issue trying to add a bigger HDD to raid 5

Post by TMroy »

For a 4 drives RAID 5 configuration, you are not able to expand your volume capacity by only replacing one or two bigger size drives, you need to replace all 4 drives with bigger size drives.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
swalker23

Post by swalker23 »

Thanks for the reply
So I have to delete the current raid and create another from scratch if I want to use those 2 drives?
TMLyy
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMLyy »

Yes, you need to delete the current RAID after backing up the data and then create new RAID with a new disk installation system.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
swalker23

Post by swalker23 »

LYY wrote: 01 Jun 2022, 20:49 Yes, you need to delete the current RAID after backing up the data and then create new RAID with a new disk installation system.
Thanks
TMLyy
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMLyy »

LYY wrote: 01 Jun 2022, 20:49 Yes, you need to delete the current RAID after backing up the data and then create a new RAID with new disk installation system.
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)