3TB Western Digital not recognized after backup from Nas

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
Hardfecx

3TB Western Digital not recognized after backup from Nas

Post by Hardfecx »

Hi,

ich have a F4-210 with 4 x 2 TB HDD's in a Raid 5. One a Week I do an automaticly Backup to a Western Digital 3TB with all my FIlm an Series (1,5 TB).
But when i connect it to a Pc, nothing is reconized...
TMAY

Re: 3TB Western Digital not recognized after backup from Nas

Post by TMAY »

Hi,
Please put this hard disk back into the nas and check whether the backup data can be viewed in the nas.
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Hardfecx

That could be due to the disk format of the 3TB drive.
Ex Terramaster user. British citizen, Ex resident of KSA, USA and now in UAE.
Hardfecx

Post by Hardfecx »

In the Nas I can see all the Data and it is formated in ext4. So i should normally see the data when I connect it to my Pc, or not?
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

Hardfecx wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 02:28 In the Nas I can see all the Data and it is formated in ext4. So i should normally see the data when I connect it to my Pc, or not?
Unless you are running Linux, you'd need an EXT4 driver to mount this drive for file access on MacOS or Windows 10/11 Home; on Windows 10/11 Pro, enable Windows Subsystem for Linux to gain the ability to access.
Hardfecx

Post by Hardfecx »

crisisacting wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 06:43
Hardfecx wrote: 24 Mar 2022, 02:28 In the Nas I can see all the Data and it is formated in ext4. So i should normally see the data when I connect it to my Pc, or not?
Unless you are running Linux, you'd need an EXT4 driver to mount this drive for file access on MacOS or Windows 10/11 Home; on Windows 10/11 Pro, enable Windows Subsystem for Linux to gain the ability to access.
That sounds good, do you have a little guide how to enable that in my Windows 11 Pro? I did it via the Windows features, restarted but can't still not see the HDD.
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Hardfecx
Just use Google, here's a guide I found on there https://www.easeus.com/partition-master ... ition.html
Ex Terramaster user. British citizen, Ex resident of KSA, USA and now in UAE.
Hardfecx

Post by Hardfecx »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Charlie_Croker

Thank you M8 but when I transform now the external Harddrive into NTFS, will after that change something when I put it back into the Nas (auto backups and so on)?
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

can i jump in here and say there is another option, windows 10 / 11 has hyper-v and one of the default images in ubuntu

so another option is to plug the hard drive in, spin up an ubuntu virtual machine which then has direct access to the hard drive (read and write) which is a completly free option
F2-210

Hardfecx

Post by Hardfecx »

sianderson wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 22:00 can i jump in here and say there is another option, windows 10 / 11 has hyper-v and one of the default images in ubuntu

so another option is to plug the hard drive in, spin up an ubuntu virtual machine which then has direct access to the hard drive (read and write) which is a completly free option
The Idea is good but I want to take my Backup Disk with all my Fims with me to a Friend for example and look the film via his Laptop / Smart TV

Return to “Storage”