Reformatting a .deadbolt drive safely for reuse

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
RobJVM

Reformatting a .deadbolt drive safely for reuse

Post by RobJVM »

I was hit with .deadbolt yesterday. Fortunately, just a month ago I upgraded my 2x4TB RAID 1 to a 2x6TB RAID 1… so I still had the old 4TB RAID drives. I popped them back in and was only a month lost.

Today I updated TOS and followed all the security suggestions and I've got a working, stable system as protected as I think I can be.

I would like to upgrade again back to the 2xTB RAID 1 using those compromised .deadbolt drives. Can I just pop them in as normal and let the RAID rebuild? Will they be automatically formatted/wiped when added to the RAID? Or is there some way to use the F2-221 to format before exposing them to my stable system drives? I don't have any other device that reads BTRFS. Could I put them in an external enclosure and attach them to the NAS via USB for formatting that way? I'm afraid of any remnants of .deadbolt surviving on them to get me again later. I don't really know how it works.

Just not sure and don't want to lose any more time with this than I have to.

Thanks for your advice and help.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Reformatting a .deadbolt drive safely for reuse

Post by TMSupport »

RobJVM wrote: 02 Mar 2022, 02:26 Could I put them in an external enclosure and attach them to the NAS via USB for formatting that way?
You can format the drive in this way.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)