SSD Cache doesnt work

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
TerraNas2

SSD Cache doesnt work

Post by TerraNas2 »

I've tried several different SSD's, and not once have I gotten it to say "Enabled". The NAS either reboots back to the way it was, and shows disabled, or reboots and hangs and needs a hard shutdown (holding power button) and restart to work again.

Solid state drives I've tried:

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
Inland 240GBM 240GB
Crucial M4 64GB
Samsung MZ-7PC1280 128GB
Corsair F115 115GB

My setup:
F5-221
TOS 4.2.28 (but it didnt work on previous versions either)
4 disk RAID 5 array with btrfs on one volume. I also dont have any applications installed.

All the drives were wiped clean (or new), verified there were no partitions in windows disk management. Powered off the unit, installed, powered back on. Then went to control panel, Volume, Edit, SSD cache drop down and chose "/dev/sdd", I've tried "Storage pool" 1-3 with no difference. Depending on the drive, sometimes the system will automatically reboot back up to normal, but SSD cache will still say disabled, while other drives will reboot but hang and need a forced shutdown and power on. Either way SSD cache isnt working for me.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: SSD Cache doesnt work

Post by TMSupport »

The issue of SSD cache has been fixed in TOS 4.2.28, if you still have this issue after updating to TOS 4.2.28, you can email our tech team for a remote session.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TerraNas2

Post by TerraNas2 »

Luman wrote: 27 Feb 2022, 13:48 Run the Intel RST software through the All Programs menu or the task bar icon. Click Enable acceleration under either the Status or Accelerate menu. Select the SSD for the cache device. Select the size from the SSD allocated for the cache memory.
Isnt that a solution for Windows or Linux? Intel RST isnt an available application for ToS. Im trying to enable SSD cache on the NAS itself.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

TerraNas2 wrote: 28 Feb 2022, 05:05
Luman wrote: 27 Feb 2022, 13:48 Run the Intel RST software through the All Programs menu or the task bar icon. Click Enable acceleration under either the Status or Accelerate menu. Select the SSD for the cache device. Select the size from the SSD allocated for the cache memory.
Isnt that a solution for Windows or Linux? Intel RST isnt an available application for ToS. Im trying to enable SSD cache on the NAS itself.
Hi! The post by luman is to promote unrelated software, the user has been disabled.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
antislow

Post by antislow »

I just received my f2-423 and have 2x4TB Reds configured in a single storage pool with a single BTRFS volume and one 512gb NVMe installed. Also upgraded to TOS 5. The NVMe is visible under hard disks in the control panel and is not part of any storage pool or volume. When clicking on SSD Cache in the control panel the "create" button is grayed out. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I would like to enable SSD cache for my volume. Also when editing my main volume, there's no drop down for SSD cache, and also says disabled when expanding the volume.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}antislow

Please wait for the new version.
antislow

Post by antislow »

I upgraded to the latest 5.0.144 and SSD cache is still not working with my NVMe. I even did remote session with TM support and they could not resolve it. My specific model is F2-423. Does anyone else have this model with TOS5 and have SSD cache working w/ an NVMe drive?
davidmcdougal

Post by davidmcdougal »

I have had the same issues being reported and just was told by support that the HP EX256 drives that I have in my system that worked 100% flawlessly in 4.x TOS are no longer supported in 5.x TOS, and so I cannot use them anymore. This is really annoying and just disappointing that they would purposely reduce supported devices in an upgrade of the operating system.

So, I have a 2 bay 423 for sale if anyone wants one. I am going back to Synology. I have two Synology units that 10 years old and even though they are slow as dirt they work without fail and even the latest versions still support the hardware in the units.

Sorry, terramaster, but you have lost a new user. I actually was hoping 5.x was going to be nice as I need to buy 6 more units for some clients and with this they are going to get Synology units.
antislow

Post by antislow »

Does anyone know of ANY NVMe that will work in TOS5?
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

antislow wrote: 15 Aug 2022, 02:21 Does anyone know of ANY NVMe that will work in TOS5?
Depends on the model you own or are looking to purchase.

The newer 423 series devices have 2 internal NVMe slots.