NAS harddrive has inaccessible used space

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
Rice

NAS harddrive has inaccessible used space

Post by Rice »

Can anyone explain this to me. I just created a storage pool and then created volume on this particular drive and it is show 18gb of used space.

This is NOT the main drive where I install the Tnas and the apps. This is a separate drive I want to use for backup.

I tried to go into the shared folder relating to the volume but it is showing no files and 0 bytes.

One of my other empty drive is having this issue as well, anyone know how do I access this 18GB? or what it is?
Attachments
Tnas quest - Copy.JPG
Rice

Re: NAS harddrive has inaccessible used space

Post by Rice »

Can any TNAS mod help with this?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

There is a system copy on each drive so that you can boot up your system with any of your drives. That takes some space on your drives.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Rice

Post by Rice »

TMroy wrote: 19 Dec 2021, 12:23 There is a system copy on each drive so that you can boot up your system with any of your drives. That takes some space on your drives.
Thanks for the response.

The drive that I have my system on is only 3.8GB. The two drives where I have nothing on has a "used space" of 14 gb and 18 gb.

As well, these two drives with 10GB+ of "used space" only shows 88mb used from the Volume view.

Is there anyway for me to access this? so I can manually delete?
Rice

Post by Rice »

To clarify, I have no RAID set up, each drive represents it's own volume and pool
Hardfecx

Post by Hardfecx »

why are you crying about 14 or 18GB??? How large are your disks? do you know, when you have 1mb, in reality is is 1024 bytes, not 1000.
2 - 4 -8 -16 -32 -64 -128 - 256 - 512 -768... that are not "right numbers"... so please don't cry about 14 GB when you have x - Terrabytes....
Rice

Post by Rice »

Hardfecx wrote: 25 Dec 2021, 03:40 why are you crying about 14 or 18GB??? How large are your disks? do you know, when you have 1mb, in reality is is 1024 bytes, not 1000.
2 - 4 -8 -16 -32 -64 -128 - 256 - 512 -768... that are not "right numbers"... so please don't cry about 14 GB when you have x - Terrabytes....
I think you are misunderstanding the issue, this is actual used space rather than a coversion question (decimal vs binary capacity).
Hardfecx

Post by Hardfecx »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Rice

yes but, how many space do you have together?
Rice

Post by Rice »

I have 4 single HDD, no raid configuration.

At one point I have tested Raid 5 on the the drives, I wonder if that's what is causing the problem.

I tried reinstall my system today hoping it would wipe everything, but it made it worse.
The reinstallation automatically assume raid 5 configuration and actually brought one of my drive from 2GB inaccessible space to 14GB similiar to another drive.
As it stands:

Volume 1 (HD1): 14.05GB of inaccessible used space (even though there is nothing on it)
Volume 2 (HD2) 14.05GB of inaccessible used space
Volume 3 (HD3) 18.71GB of inaccessible used space
Volume 4 (HD4) 18.62GB of inaccessible used space
About 65GB+ of space that I can't use. This is quite a bit of wasted space.

Can any TM support clarify other ways to wipe the disks?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi! Reinstalling the system will not delete the hard disk data. You need to clear the RAID information first, then format the RAID.
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=2805
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)