Replace all drives and change RAID

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
mwarney

Replace all drives and change RAID

Post by mwarney »

I have a Terramaster F4-210 currently set up as RAID 1 (mirror) using two 6TB Ironwolf drives. I want to replace the two 6 TB drives with four 4 TB drives and convert to RAID 5. There IS currently data stored on the system. Could someone please outline the steps I would take?
Thanks
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Replace all drives and change RAID

Post by TMroy »

it seems this is not possible, you just can not replace your drive which is already configured in a RAID with a smaller size new drive. you have to back up your data, delete the current RAID 1, and rebuild a new RAID 5 with your 4TB drives.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
mwarney

Post by mwarney »

TMroy wrote: 24 Nov 2021, 00:41 it seems this is not possible, you just can not replace your drive which is already configured in a RAID with a smaller size new drive. you have to back up your data, delete the current RAID 1, and rebuild a new RAID 5 with your 4TB drives.
Thanks... I was afraid of that. What if I added two more 6 TB drives and then converted to RAID 5?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi!
Please refer to the following instructions:
1. Add a disk to migrate RAID 1 to RAID 5. Instructions for Online RAID Migration
2. Add another disk to the RAID 5. Instructions for Adding HDDs to RAID
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)