Folders Being Renamed

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
bardsleydarren

Folders Being Renamed

Post by bardsleydarren »

Hello,

I recently migrated my media from Western Digital to TerraMaster and, after some time noticed that all folders with apostrophes were renamed (though the files inside the folders were unchanged). All apostrophes were removed from the folder titles. This naturally caused syncing issues with my Plex app, but I assumed they were just issues caused by starting Plex for the first time on TerraMaster.

I renamed all the relevant folders back to the original names and resynced everything. Everything has worked fine for some months, but now I've noticed that the same thing has happened again.

I don't know a huge amount about Linux, only generally learning enough to get by when necessary. I know that the naming scheme tends to be more basic for storage servers than operating systems, something along the line of just lower case and underscores? I'm guessing that's why this is happening.

My main queries are:
  • Why didn't this happen with my Western Digital NAS drives?
  • Is there a setting that I missed where the TerraMaster periodically scans for these things and renames the folders, and is there a way to prevent it happening?
  • Why rename just the folders and not the files themselves?
  • Why rename them at all? The naming scheme worked fine for years on my other NAS storage, and works perfectly well on the TerraMaster also.
Thank you for any help.
Regards.
TMnorah
TerraMaster Team

Re: Folders Being Renamed

Post by TMnorah »

Hello!
We have understood your question, and we will verify and check your question.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Mizuma

Post by Mizuma »

Same issue here, any file or folder with an apostrophe (') in the name is renamed by TOS. This renaming causes a ton of problems with the OneDrive syncing app as well
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi!
The file or folder name in TOS system does not support apostrophe (').
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

we will talk to the tech team and find out a solution.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
bardsleydarren

Post by bardsleydarren »

After a little testing, I can definitely confirm that the renaming is caused by browsing directories using TOS's File Explorer. As soon as it "sees" anything that contains the offending apostrophe it will automatically rename it.

This answers most of my questions posted above, included why only folders were being renamed (I only looked as far as that one level). When browsing into the folders, it also renamed the files inside.

I have reasons why I would rather not remove all apostrophes from my folder/file naming scheme so the only other obvious solution is to not use File Explorer. However, there's always the possibility that at some point in the future, I'll inadvertently do so.

Is there any way to either disable TOS's File Explorer, or prevent it from automatically renaming?

Is there likely to be an update that will allow apostrophes in file/folder names?

Thanks for any reply.
TMAY

Post by TMAY »

Hi,We will discuss with the technical team and find a solution
brunix86
Italy

Post by brunix86 »

Hi All,

I can confirm that the issue is occurred with TOS File Explorer, on TNAS F2-221 with TOS 4.2.16 and all applications updated.
Using Windows SMB or USB Copy application, the apostrophe is supported.
From point TOS 4.2.13 changelog I see:
Fixed the error that folders contain apostrophe ’could not be copied, cut nor pasted
So, why did you say that?
TMSupport wrote: 08 Oct 2021, 10:38 Hi!
The file or folder name in TOS system does not support apostrophe (').
Thanks for your assistance,
Regards.
My NAS Environment
  • TNAS F4-423
  • TOS 5.1.123-00529 (8GB System Partition)
  • 2x RAM Terramaster 4GB DDR4 2133 MHZ
  • 2x HDD WD RED PLUS 4TB CMR [RAID1]
  • UPS Tecnoware ERA PLUS 1100 [770 W]
Play your console games on PC!
brunix86
Italy

Post by brunix86 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMAY
Is there any news regarding this issue?

Thanks and Best Regards
My NAS Environment
  • TNAS F4-423
  • TOS 5.1.123-00529 (8GB System Partition)
  • 2x RAM Terramaster 4GB DDR4 2133 MHZ
  • 2x HDD WD RED PLUS 4TB CMR [RAID1]
  • UPS Tecnoware ERA PLUS 1100 [770 W]
Play your console games on PC!
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi! It has been added to our list, please wait.