How can I use APFS format disk on F4-210 NAS system?

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
woodmanhu

How can I use APFS format disk on F4-210 NAS system?

Post by woodmanhu »

Hi,

I have been using the same disk that is Linux formatted in my F4-210 NAS system for a while until I updated to Mac os Big Sur. It now reads the disk really slow through NAS and if I take the disk out and use USB to directly plug into my Mac it shows "The disk format is not supported".

I did some research found out Big Sur stopped supporting all windows/ Linux disk format and I cleaned my disk and formatted it to be APFS. Then I put it in my F4-210 NAS system to initialize the disk but it tells me to format it back to FAT format. which is reasonable bcs it needs the format to write down the operation system.

I wanna ask is that possible that if I use another empty disk to format to be FAT and initialize my NAS system and plug in my APFS disk on the second bay, will the system recognize the disk and work as normal?

Thanks!
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: How can I use APFS format disk on F4-210 NAS system?

Post by TMroy »

All disks installed on your TNAS will be formatted before they can be accepted by the system.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

Your TOS OS only uses ext4 formatted disks in the internal drive slots. If you regularly want to move a disk between the TNAS machine and other systems you can format fat or ntfs and connect to the external USB port. There's probably a utility for apple to read fat or ntfs.
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

{L_BUTTON_AT}woodmanhu
I'm a Mac user too, and thought I'd chime in to help you.
It seems the main issue is slow network speeds transferring from the NAS, so if we look at curing this then you wouldn't need to worry about APFS.

1. How are you connecting to the NAS, is it via Wired or WIFI? Wired ALWAYS beats Wifi.
2. What cables are you using? CAT5E are the minimum to get 1Gb speeds (which tops out at about 115Megabytes per second)
3. What protocol do you connect to the NAS with? (SMB or APFS?) in my experience APFS seems to work better with Macs and NAS.
4. Explain the connection to NAS, in my case, it goes NAS/ 10GBe port via CAT8 to a Netgear XS708M switch, this connects to my Mac via more CAT 8, and a 10GBe Caldigit TB2 adapter connected to a Caldigit TS3+ Dock via TB3.
5. Lots of Small files always transfers slower than one big file (Its to do with Network overhead.
6. How are you measuring transfer speed? Easiest way is to use Black Magic Speedster from the Mac App Store then point it at the Network share/folder on your NAS.

So look at the above and hopefully it will help you to resolve the issue. Good luck and let me know what happens.
Ex Terramaster user. British citizen, Ex resident of KSA, USA and now in UAE.