Why did they stop supporting BTRFS?

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
SquarePeg
Wales

Why did they stop supporting BTRFS?

Post by SquarePeg »

Does anyone know why? It is superior to EXT4 but if you want the latest security holes patched, you have to install the newer OS and lose BTRFS!
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Why did they stop supporting BTRFS?

Post by TMroy »

Because of technical issues, btrfs has already been removed from the ARM series models like F2-210/F4-210. The x.86 models keep supporting btrfs.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
SquarePeg
Wales

Post by SquarePeg »

TMroy wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 23:32 Because of technical issues, btrfs has already been removed from the ARM series models like F2-210/F4-210. The x.86 models keep supporting btrfs.
What technical issues? BTRFS was working fine. I use BTRFS on my home PC and it is rock-solid.
Saijin_Naib

Post by Saijin_Naib »

{L_BUTTON_AT}SquarePeg
We're using a pretty back-level kernel on the ARM units and there have been an absolute boat-load of really critical fixes to BTRFS that are simply not present in the kernel we're using.

I had asked (and continue to hope) that we get on current 5.10 LTS so we get those fixes and BTRFS might become a safe option again, but my hope is low.
SquarePeg
Wales

Post by SquarePeg »

{L_BUTTON_AT}SquarePeg
Saijin_Naib wrote: 08 Sep 2021, 03:25 We're using a pretty back-level kernel on the ARM units and there have been an absolute boat-load of really critical fixes to BTRFS that are simply not present in the kernel we're using. I had asked (and continue to hope) that we get on current 5.10 LTS so we get those fixes and BTRFS might become a safe option again, but my hope is low.
Thank you for your reply. I hope they will include it in the new release.
mukmuk

Post by mukmuk »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMroy

Is it safe for me to further use BTRFS on (x86) F2-221 or should I think about resetting the unit? I've set it up through the installer on a former version of TOS (4.0.x or was it 4.1.x already? Not sure anymore). Resetting would be my least preferred option... :/
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

you need to update your TOS to the latest version, there are so many bugs fixed from 4.0.xx including btrfs support, 4.0.x is too old.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
mukmuk

Post by mukmuk »

Yeah, I do know that. My F2-221 is on 4.2.14-P1.10 at the moment. The question however was, if I can safely stay with BTRFS on the long run (as in: for example for TOS5 etc).
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Yes, why not?
Rice

Post by Rice »

Are there any security issues if we continue to use BTRFS on drives already set this way?
Terramaster removing this has me worried, particularly that it is no longer supported