F5 422 nas is slower ssd cache on.

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
joprysko

Re: F5 422 nas is slower ssd cache on.

Post by joprysko »

I think we are not matching conditions so we are seeing different results.

I am using a 10gbs network card across a 10gb network switch to the 10gbs port on the NAS. My Desktop drive is m.2 NVME 1.2GB/s so the PC is fully capable of saturating a 10gbs network and max out the NAS potential top speed.

I am transferring 7 GB of data, 4 video files.

My File copy from the NAS raid 0 is up to 580MB/s
My File copy to the NAS raid 0 is up to 450MB/s

Now I have just re-tested SSD with the SSD WDS500G1R0A and a SAMSUNG EVO 1tb drive.

The WD Red SSD drive installed as a single drive

My file copy from NAS SSD is 383MB/s
My file copy to the NAS SSD is 257mb/s

Did not test drive as Cache because of low base speeds.

Samsung EVO 1TB

My file copy from NAS SSD 545MB/s
My file copy to the NAS SSD up to 500MB/s

Samsung EVO installed as cache

My file copy from NAS with SSD cache 350 MB/s
My file copy to NAS with SSD cache 370 MB/s
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi!
Our test was based on the environment that NAS's 10GbE network port is directly connected to the computer's 10GbE network port, and the desktop drive is m.2 NVME SSD.
We will do more related test with different SSD as cache.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
joprysko

Post by joprysko »

Hmm, well it could be your file sizes. Try zipping your files into a single zip file to see if your speeds match mine. As you know smaller file sizes will dramatically change file transfer speeds.
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

{L_BUTTON_AT}joprysko
Just to jump in, (I have a 10Gbe network and Cache Acceleration using SATA SSD and WD REDs on my Qnap ). I haven't tested Cache acceleration on my Terramaster (its only a 2 bay for one, and the other reason is I don't have a spare SSD). In my experience, the issue could be with the small SSD size and or RAM. How much RAM do you have in the system? Do you have READ/Write Cache on? (Its considered risky to use Write cache with a single SSD, as if it fails, you run the risk of data loss). I use two SSDs (1TB RED SA in a RAID 1 using a 2-1 3.5 inch adapter (So I only lose one bay, link below ). Do you have Sequential/Bypass switched on? (Basically this means with large sequential read/write, the file bypasses the SSD Cache all together). If not then you are doubling your system overhead, Data arrives at NAS, gets written to SSD, then gets copied from SSD to HDD, all the time consuming CPU Cycles and RAM. And what setting do you use for over Provisioning? Some useful links https://www.qnap.com/solution/ssd-cache/en-uk/ https://nascompares.com/ssd-caching-on- ... rformance/ The Adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/QNAP-QDA-A2AR/ ... 449&sr=8-3
Attachments
screenshot_257.png
Ex Terramaster user. British citizen, Ex resident of KSA, USA and now in UAE.