More expanding storage questions

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
Damski748

More expanding storage questions

Post by Damski748 »

First off, had the F5-221 for a while and just love it but....

I stuck 2 6TB disks in there as RAID 0 when I first got it, I'm 100% sure I read somewhere I'd be able to add more disks and switch it up to RAID 5 when I could afford more disks.... Well I've got another 2 6TB disks, same make and model but I'm completely stuck as to how to add them in, I was expecting to be able to expand the storage pool then change the RAID version but I'm lost, please help!
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: More expanding storage questions

Post by TMSupport »

You can take a look at this article about Online RAID Migration.
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1544

As for your problem, please try the following steps.
1.If there is data on the HDD, please back up the data first, and then delete the volume and storage pool.
2.Don't refresh the page. Insert at least three hard drives to form RAID 5.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Base on theory how a disk array works, I am sorry to tell you that RAID 0 can't be migrated to RAID 5 or any other RAID type without lossing your data.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
djonesuk

Post by djonesuk »

TMroy wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 11:17 Base on theory how a disk array works, I am sorry to tell you that RAID 0 can't be migrated to RAID 5 or any other RAID type without lossing your data.
Of course you can convert from RAID 0 to RAID 5.

Code: Select all

mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --level=5 --raid-devices=3 --add /dev/sdc --backup-file=/tmp/grow_md0.bak