How to access HDD content after removing from NAS?

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
Vika09

How to access HDD content after removing from NAS?

Post by Vika09 »

Hi,

Bit of background:

1. I have the F4-210 and for a while only ran two HDDs in it. A 2GB HDD and a 4GB HDD. I don't quite remember what file system I used, but they were run in JBOD.
2. I have recently bought three extra 4TB HDDs so that I can run a Raid 5 across all 4x4TB HDDs.
3. I now have a spare 2TB HDD that had some data on it.

Question:

How do I move the data from the 2TB HDD back onto the NAS? I've tried to connect the HDD directly onto my desktop PC (Windows 10). Whilst it recognises a 1.8TB partition, it doesn't let me mount it as a drive on Windows: Image.

Is there any way I can back up the data from the 2TB HDD back onto my NAS (either on Windows or through TOS itself?).

Thank you!
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: How to access HDD content after removing from NAS?

Post by TMroy »

As TNAS using ext4 or Btrfs file system, it can not be recognized by windows directly. This article could be helpful information for you.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
titanrx8

Re: How to access HDD content after removing from NAS?

Post by titanrx8 »

Vika09 wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 09:50 Hi,

Bit of background:

1. I have the F4-210 and for a while only ran two HDDs in it. A 2GB HDD and a 4GB HDD. I don't quite remember what file system I used, but they were run in JBOD.
2. I have recently bought three extra 4TB HDDs so that I can run a Raid 5 across all 4x4TB HDDs.
3. I now have a spare 2TB HDD that had some data on it.

Question:

How do I move the data from the 2TB HDD back onto the NAS? I've tried to connect the HDD directly onto my desktop PC (Windows 10). Whilst it recognises a 1.8TB partition, it doesn't let me mount it as a drive on Windows: Image.

Is there any way I can back up the data from the 2TB HDD back onto my NAS (either on Windows or through TOS itself?).

Thank you!
Or you can use a SATA cable to plug your 2tb drive into the USB port on the back of your NAS. It will mount as an external drive with it's own volume ID and you will be able to see all its files using the TOS file manager on the desktop. Then you can copy them wherever you want them in the new RAID volume.