Crucial/Micron MX500 - SMART Attributes

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
Saijin_Naib

Crucial/Micron MX500 - SMART Attributes

Post by Saijin_Naib »

The Crucial/Micron MX500 report Unusued_Rsvd_Blk_Cnt_Tot, which seems to be confusing TOS' SMART/Drive Health assessment, putting both brand new, verified (via Crucial Storage Executive) healthy 2TB volumes in "at-risk" status on my dashboard.
Screenshot 2021-06-28 165207.png
Screenshot 2021-06-28 165207.png (13.89 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
This SMART attribute is set by Crucial at the factory, and counts down from the stated value until 0. Once it reaches 0, the drive is locked in a read-only state and has failed.
Screenshot 2021-06-28 165319.png
The TOS SMART dashboard/assessment is treating this value backwards, instead alerting me to the fact that my drive still has a significant number of Unused Reserved (Super)Blocks.

I'd like to see this behavior fixed.

https://www.crucial.com/support/article ... smart-data
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Crucial/Micron MX500 - SMART Attributes

Post by TMSupport »

We have to verify the red marked attribute here first, will get back to you as soon as possible.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
djonesuk

Post by djonesuk »

I can confirm that I have one of these drives and also have the same problem. It says I have 45 unused blocks left but the drive reports as "In Risk"
2021-06-29 11_55_07-Desktop - TOS — Mozilla Firefox.png
Saijin_Naib

Post by Saijin_Naib »

{L_BUTTON_AT}TMSupport
Thank you for investigating this.

This is a very important metric to keep track of, but it needs to be read properly so both TOS and the end-users are kept aware properly.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

It's the reason that this parameter Unused_Rsvd_Blk_Cnt_Tot is added in Crucial SSD's SMART information. We will fix it in later version.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Saijin_Naib

Post by Saijin_Naib »

TMSupport wrote: 01 Jul 2021, 09:58 It's the reason that this parameter Unused_Rsvd_Blk_Cnt_Tot is added in Crucial SSD's SMART information. We will fix it in later version.
Thank you so much for looking into the issue, confirming it, and committing to fixing it!
I hope this fix will be valid for the ARM TNAS units as well, since that is what I am using.
Saijin_Naib

Post by Saijin_Naib »

Looks like TOS 4.2.15 just ignores the Crucial Unused_Block_Count SMART attribute, so the drives show healthy (yay!), but that is still an important metric to keep an eye on...

Hopefully a future update makes this SMART attribute work properly, but I'm thankful they've looked into the issue.