Cannot Edit (increase) Storage Pool

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
statesman

Cannot Edit (increase) Storage Pool

Post by statesman »

Hi!

I Replaced all my 3 TB drives with 8 TB drivers one by one in my RAID-5 configuration on my F5-221, letting it rebuild the RAID for every drive, took me about a week.

But my Storage Pool is still 8.18 TB in size and I have no option to increase it...? :(
The Edit button is Greyed out in my Control Panel.
StoragePool.jpg
How can I increase my Storage Pool?

I'm on TOS 4.2.12-2104131759

Thanks.
statesman

Re: Cannot Edit (increase) Storage Pool

Post by statesman »

Well, I ended up removing one of the 8 TB disks, replacing it with a 3 TB disk again, and mounted the 8 TB disk as external disk.

I will copy everything to the new 8 TB external disk and remove my Storage Pool and recreate it with 8 TB disks instead.
I figure thats the easiest route, perhaps I did something wrong thinking I could resize the Storage Pool after I had replaces my disks?
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Please refer to this Instructions for Online RAID Expansion:viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1543
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
statesman

Post by statesman »

But those instructions wont tell you how to expand your existing RAID5 Pool by exchanging the disks for larger ones, is that not supported?

Or is that so that when you replace your _last_disk in the RAID5 Pool that you should select to increase the Pool size (Online Pool Capacity Expansion) and not repair it?

But I can try it now I guess.

I thought I should be able to repair the RAID Set first, and increase it as a second step. That should be a valid option, but obviously it was not.
statesman

Post by statesman »

Well, I replaced my last 3TB drive with a 8 TB drive now, and selected "Online RAID Capacity Expansion".

But so far I cannot see that this will make any difference?
Maybe this is a two step process, rebuilding existing RAID as step one, and increasing the Pool Size as step 2?
StoragePool2.jpg
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

After RAID rebuilding is complete, please go to TOS Control panel - Volume - Edit to add the capacity for your volume.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
statesman

Post by statesman »

Wow you really do not answer any questions.... :o

We'll see if the Storage Pool increase in size first....
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

I think the instruction is quite clear. Recommend you read it again.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
statesman

Post by statesman »

Well, I'd say the instructions are very sparse... Not perfectly clear to me at least.
A few more describing sentences would not have hurt the "clear" instructions in my opinion.

Either way, it seem to have worked to instead choose the "Online Pool Capacity Expansion" option rather than the Rebuild Option after replacing my last disk. (Which would be a much more helpful and nicer reply to send than "read the instructions!").

I'm happy with the result of my Pool expansion, but I am puzzled by the "harsh" tone on this forum or by the support team.
RTFM (more or less) is not a very helpful reply, a few nice words and actual answers to my questions would be much nicer and more helpful.
Yes I'm new on this forum, and I'm also a new TerraMaster user, but I have been Forum active for about 25 years, and I have no words....

Thanks for the help. I'm not sure I'll ever ask for help here again. I didn't feel welcome in the TerraMaster Official Forum sadly.
I got pointers in right directions but not actual help or answers. I'd probably try Reddit next time.