Entire Storage Pool Disappeared on Reboot

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
bfairfull

Entire Storage Pool Disappeared on Reboot

Post by bfairfull »

Hello,

I have an F2-210 NAS running TOS 4.1.32-2008031214. I'm running two Seagate Ironwolf 4TB Drives that are not in a RAID array, or I suppose RAID 0. These are backed up by 2 4TB USB drives at the moment.

The NAS was organized as two Storage Pools, Storage Pool #1 and Storage Pool #2 with each drive being a Volume in each Storage Pool, very simple.

I rebooted the NAS after Emby threw a 502 Bad Gateway Error. On reboot, Storage Pool #1 was gone. The drive was still there but showed zero contents in both the File Manager in TOS and through Win Explorer accessing the share. However disc utilities such as S.M.A.R.T on the NAS Control Panel showed two healthy drives.

On removal of HDD1 (Storage Pool #1), I mounted the drive to a HDD dock and used a Linux Reader to access the drive from a Win 10 system. The contents are intact and I am in the process of creating another backup right now.

My first question is why would this have happened? Since the drive and the Volume prior to reboot all reported 5 x 5 before the reboot, this seems curious. Before I bring the NAS down I always check the condition, then reboot. These drives are also less than a year old, so they shouldn't be nearing the end of their service life.

I will tell you that that the drive I "lost" was rather full, with about 40GB open on 3.7 TB. I was going to start moving content after the reboot, as the other drive is hardly used (only about 650GB).

2nd question is that if I attempt to remount this drive as a new Volume, what will be the result on the content? While I do have two backups of this drive, it's time consuming to rebuild. Is there an option that will allow me to add it to Storage Pool #2, with reformatting the drive and destroying the data?

Thank you for you time in response.
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Re: Entire Storage Pool Disappeared on Reboot

Post by TMS »

The first question:the hard disk may be in poor contact. Power off the TNAS , if it is still the same after unplugging and plugging , Is it possible to let our engineer check it remotely?You can send an email to our tech team to confirm it.
The second queston is that installing a new volume will clear the data at this time. You want to copy the data from volume one to volume two,right?
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
bfairfull

Post by bfairfull »

Interesting, the "hard drive may be in poor contact".

I removed the HDD as indicated below and docked it to my laptop just to confirm the content was still readable, as it was so sudden and without any real warning. When I attempted to remount the drive to the NAS, it's not sliding into place easily. Two attempts to hot mount the drive weren't successful, but as I wanted to make sure I backed it up, I didn't mess around it with much until that was done.

I brought the NAS down and moved drive 2 to the drive 1 slot and had the same issue. Poor fit. I had to manipulate it to get it to mount and close the bracket. I did not reboot the NAS, but instead remounted HDD 2 back to the drive 2 slot, and the NAS booted just fine.

By tonight, I'll have backed up all the content. And so I'll be less reticent to attempt to remount the drive and see if the contact isn't the issue.

I'd have no issue giving access to tech support. Let me try to remount it. All contents on the drive were clean. No issue backing up the applications directory or the appdata, theoretically if I can mount the drive and make contact, shouldn't it revert to the original config?

Thanks!
eliotoscar

Post by eliotoscar »

bfairfull wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 07:53 Interesting, the "hard drive may be in poor contact".

I removed the HDD as indicated below and docked it to my laptop just to confirm the content was still readable, as it was so sudden and without any real warning. When I attempted to remount the drive to the NAS, it's not sliding into place easily. Two attempts to hot mount the drive weren't successful, but as I wanted to make sure I backed it up, I didn't mess around it with much until that was done.

I brought the NAS down and moved drive 2 to the drive 1 slot and had the same issue. Poor fit. I had to manipulate it to get it to mount and close the bracket. I did not reboot the NAS, but instead remounted HDD 2 back to the drive 2 slot, and the NAS booted just fine.

By tonight, I'll have backed up all the content. And so I'll be less reticent to attempt to remount the drive and see if the contact isn't the issue.

I'd have no issue giving access to tech support. Let me try to remount it. All contents on the drive were clean. No issue backing up the applications directory or the appdata, theoretically if I can mount the drive and make contact, shouldn't it revert to the original config?

Thanks!
same thing is happening to me can anyone please help?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}eliotoscar

Hi!
What did you do to your NAS before this? And describe in detail the problem you are encountering now.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
calavera

Post by calavera »

Hi, i had a similar problem. I had issues with one of the two disks of a RAID 1 pool.
I removed the disk and rebooted the system but I'm not able to see the storage pool and volume anymore.

Do I need to recreate the RAID pool or is there a way to restore it?
Is there a way to at least read data from the disk?

Thanks
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}calavera

Hi! Is it convenient to let our engineer check it remotely? Please contact our tech team.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)