TNAS automatically upgraded to RAID6 without asking

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
MattxMercy

Re: TNAS automatically upgraded to RAID6 without asking

Post by MattxMercy »

Hey guys, so apparently what happened is somehow the partition table got corrupted. I managed to get just about everything back (as far as I can tell - had to sort it myself), it just took about a week to get the drive scanned & recovered. I bought a backup drive for my usb drive, so this won't happen again (it was on my to-do list, but I hadn't gotten around to it).

I also purchased a 16TB USB HDD to backup my RAID Array, should be here tomorrow. I am only using 3.24 TB so far. What would be the quickest and most foolproof way of copying? I have a 3.5" HDD docking station. is there a way I can copy all of the files to one of the disks and read them on that?

Otherwise I guess I could copy it off of the server over wifi, but copying via the USB Copy program seems risky as it froze up my NAS & I couldn't even monitor progress in any way with that.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMRyan »

Was the Raid 6 synchronization completed during the previous backup?
If you keep backing up the data while the array is synchronizing, you may not be able to access it for a short time.
You can directly copy the folder to the USB in the file management, and you will be able to see the progress, but you cannot use the scheduled backup.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
MattxMercy

Post by MattxMercy »

It was already completed.

I tried that way first via the TOS by copying to "USBdisk1" (or whatever it is), and it was working, but after a while the web portal for the NAS just stopped loading. I could only monitor progress by jumping on my PC, going to the mapped network drive, and hitting "properties" and seeing how many GB had copied to the USB drive. But eventually it started moving so slowly I felt the need to stop it.

During this, oddly, I could still play Plex movies running off the server, from my devices. I only did this after I couldn't log in to TOS.
MattxMercy

Post by MattxMercy »

So, interesting development

This time I tried copying the files via the mapped network drive on my PC, to the 16TB /usbshare1 attached to the NAS, and it worked pretty well. The entire time my copy speed never dropped below 100MBps, which is much better.

Only odd thing is, I got an error 0x8007003A while copying ONE file in particular - my 4k blu ray rip of Iron Man (2008) and it would not copy. Windows gave me the option to skip the file and copy the rest. Afterwards, I tried to copy that one file multiple times and I kept getting the same error. However, I managed to copy it to my Desktop (much slower at ~32MBps, but it's only one file), then copy it to the 16 TB backup drive (though, oddly, with this external drive, I had to free up space on my internal SSD to move the file off of it... I suspect this is because I forgot to format said external HDD to exFAT before backing up and it's now in NTFS format like my SSD 🙄, but I can re-do the backup once I've built the new RAID array so this won't be an issue in the future, but I might just keep it NTFS because I've read it's more reliable, and apparently I need to run backups via windows anyway.

I have a feeling the NAS was getting the 0x8007003A/equivalent error, but couldn't display/didn't know how to handle it in TOS, or when using the USB Copy app. Any insight or ideas into why this happened?

Thanks.