SSD / Hot swap?

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
geoffs

SSD / Hot swap?

Post by geoffs »

hey I have a F4-210, and I have moved to using only 3 drives but I am thinking of doing the following with my forth bay:
-set up a SSD cache drive
-get another tray (they are like $20 on amazon) and put a large 12+tb drive on it

Then my backups would be pop out SSD and put in LargeDrive tray and run backups this way vs. USB3 which barely goes over 25mbps.

If I do this do I set up the large drive as a hot swap? or is it best to power down, pull SSD then put in the Large drive, boot up and backup overnight?

thoughts?
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Re: SSD / Hot swap?

Post by TMS »

Hi,
A little confusing, is the fourth bay used as SSD cache or for data backup?
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
geoffs

Post by geoffs »

Nether, 4 bay is empty.

What I want to is to use it for both SSD but pop that out and stick in a big drive 1/month for a backup beyond the raid
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Do you want to back up the RAID data (3 disks in use) once a month with the fourth disk? Or something else?
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
geoffs

Post by geoffs »

As I said, I want the big 4th disk for a one a month like full backup, then pop it out and put an ssd cache back in. Will this work? and should I make the big drive a hot swap or always do a full reboot before/after?
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

No problem, you can finish backing up the data, unplug it, and then plug the SSD back in.
geoffs

Post by geoffs »

thanks but I realize that, the question is should the big drive a hot swap, or merely a regular? I have found taking out regular drives and returning them later you have to do the "advanced" folder recovery option sometimes.
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Hot swap: the drive can be unplugged when the device is turned on .
Unplug the hard drive and put it back in, you must go to “Advanced ” then Recovery to Volume#,
but it is recommended to unplug the hard drive when the device is shut down.

Return to “Storage”