Raid1 to simple volume

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
Meeni

Raid1 to simple volume

Post by Meeni »

I just installed my TNAS f5-221, and my initial plan for disks did not work as intended. I had setup a RAID 1 volume with two disks, but one of these disks is no longer available, so I need to change plans and return this volume from RAID 1 to simple volume.

At the moment the volume runs in 'degraded' RAID 1 (i.e., with a single disk), which works, but rings the warning bell all the time.

Can the volume be converted back in place? I have found where one can upgrade a simple volume to a RAID 1 disk; but I have not found how to do the opposite.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Raid1 to simple volume

Post by TMRyan »

Hi,
Can you describe why the creation of Raid 1 is not available? After Raid 1 is created, it will take some time to synchronize it.
If you change a disk in Raid 1 to single disk mode, the array will be damaged and beep.
You can turn off the beep in the upper right corner of the TOS desktop.
After deleting the volume and then deleting the storage pool, all your data will disappear, but you can recreate the array mode.
Or you can connect the hard disk to a computer to format it, and then install it to TNAS for use.
You need to delete the volume or format the hard drive after backing up your data.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
Meeni

Re: Raid1 to simple volume

Post by Meeni »

Ok, I understand that converting RAID 1 to Simple Volume in-place is not possible, and the only available workflow is to re-initialize the volume.

It's inconvenient (if one can convert A->B, we should also be able to do B->A), but I'll make it work.

Return to “Storage”