Swapping Drives

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
Davidian

Swapping Drives

Post by Davidian »

I'm using an F4-210 running the latest version 4.2.08 OS, while I currently have bays 1,2 & 3 occupied, I want to put the drive from 2 into bay 1. The drive from bay 3 into bay 2 and put new drives in bays 3 & 4.

Do I have to shut down my NAS?
Can I do this without losing data?
Will I have to recreate pools and shared folders?
Is there any problems you can forsee?
Davidian

Re: Swapping Drives

Post by Davidian »

Further, the drives are not in a RAID configuration JBOD.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMRyan »

Hello,

Because your 3 hard disks are configured with JBOD, this mode cannot replace hard disks while retaining data, only add new hard disks.

If you want to remove an old hard drive, add two new hard drives,you need to back up all the data to other places, then delete the volume in the hard disk, and then reinstall the system with the old hard disk and the new hard disk.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
Davidian

Post by Davidian »

TMRyan wrote: 22 Feb 2021, 14:08 Hello,

Because your 3 hard disks are configured with JOBD, this mode cannot replace hard disks while retaining data, only add new hard disks.
The storage pools are not spread across discs, surely the data will be fine if I move a drive to a different bay?

And are there system files which need to be recreated on the drive in bay 1 if I remove the drive in bay 1?
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMRyan »

The storage pool is composed of several hard disks, the volume is built on the storage pool, and the files are stored in the volume.

JBOD is not a data-protected array.
If you want to remove a disk from JBOD and add two new disks, you need to back up the data and delete the volume and storage pool, and then reinstall the system to the used hard disk.

This process will format the hard drive and delete all data on the hard drive.
You can back up the data to a computer, cloud or mobile hard drive first, and then upload the data to TNAS after reinstalling.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)

Return to “Storage”