All files gone from JBOD volume

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
peter.horsley

All files gone from JBOD volume

Post by peter.horsley »

Hi, my TNAS model F5-221 TOS version 4.2.08-2101111540 suddenly no longer shows any files in File Manager. It has 5 disks totalling 20TB and it used to be about 60% full. Now the Storage chart shows 0%, and used space is 1.18GB, free space is 18.16TB. I have tried using the "Restore shared folders" feature, but it did not have any effect. SMART reports all disks are OK, Disk Overview shows all HDDs are Good (green) and the Hard Drive test feature reports Good for all 5 disks. The storage pool (JBOD) reports capacity 18.18TB, used space 18.18TB, free space 0 GB, but on the same screen in storage allocation, it lists Volume #1 having free space 18.16TB. It looks like something has gone wrong with the configuration of the storage pool. Is there any way to recover my files? Or is my only option to delete the JBOD, re-create it and copy back all my files from my *other* backup device?

thanks in advance.
Attachments
tnas-problem.png
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: All files gone from JBOD volume

Post by TMRyan »

Hello,

The storage pool shows that the free space is 0GB because you have created a volume on the storage pool.

It can be seen from the picture that you only used 1.18GB in total, which means you only have 1.18G of data.

Have you done anything before this happened? For example, delete and rebuild the volume.

In the control panel, can you see the shared folders that do not appear in other file management?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
peter.horsley

Post by peter.horsley »

Thanks, ok that makes sense. Yes I can see the shared folder in Control Panel and File Manager, and File Manager shows it's empty. So it's strange that it says 1.18GB is used. Prior to this happening, I had deleted a folder containing old files I no longer needed in this shared folder, that operation seemed to complete ok, but the next day when logged in to TNAS I just saw the whole thing was empty.
Attachments
tnas-shared-folders.png
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMRyan »

It shows that 1.18GB should be occupied by files in the system, other shared folders, and other applications.

You can see media indicating that your volume has been successfully mounted.
It looks like the data was accidentally deleted. Do you have a snapshot or backup?

Did you do anything to this folder? For example, you can synchronize this folder with a certain file, or use USB Copy to mirror it.
If you do not have a backup and you want to retrieve the data, you need to find a data recovery company to restore it.

From your screenshot, your control panel icon is not up to date. You can clear the browser cache and log in again.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
peter.horsley

Post by peter.horsley »

Ahh ok that explains the 1.18GB then. Luckily this is my backup NAS, so yes I have another copy of my data, so will transfer it over to my now-empty media share. Yes it's possible this is an accidental delete, i was being pretty careful to just delete the one folder I no longer needed, and even if i did make a mistake i must say i'm surprised that it was able to delete 15+TB of data across (hundreds of thousands of files) in less than 1 day. Anyway thanks for your prompt replies on this.

Cleared browser cache and see the updated icons now cheers.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMRyan »

Hi,

I'm glad to hear that you still have backed up data.

After clicking delete on the desktop, the file will be deleted in the background and the deletion speed is very fast.

Have a good day!

Return to “Storage”