Set HDD Stand-By connected through USB

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
fabiobiscia

Set HDD Stand-By connected through USB

Post by fabiobiscia »

Hi everyone. I would like to connect an external USB backup hard drive to the TNAS and leave it connected. However, my question is: will the external hard disk after a certain period go to sleep in order to increase its life or will it always remain on? is it possible to execute any operation regarding this need? Some settings on TOS or so on? :o

Thanks, best regards
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Re: Set HDD Stand-By connected through USB

Post by TMRyan »

Hello,
A single external hard disk will remain open all the time, and there is no way to put it to sleep for now.
In addition, USB array or USB dock is not recommended to connect to your TNAS except of TerraMaster USB DAS array。That need special driver support or it may run into issues.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

it will depend on the type of USB hard drive you have

i have an USB3 enclosure with a WD Hard drive in it

while the F2-210 believes it is connected all the time, the hard drive does in fact sleep

i only use it as a back up drive so USB copy runs its tasks over night, and i check it in the morning, when i first try to access it, i have to wait a few seconds and i hear the drive spin up and then click then i am able to see the data on my drive so i do believe the hard drive itself is going into sleep mode
F2-210

fabiobiscia

Post by fabiobiscia »

sianderson wrote: 29 Jan 2021, 16:33 it will depend on the type of USB hard drive you have

i have an USB3 enclosure with a WD Hard drive in it

while the F2-210 believes it is connected all the time, the hard drive does in fact sleep

i only use it as a back up drive so USB copy runs its tasks over night, and i check it in the morning, when i first try to access it, i have to wait a few seconds and i hear the drive spin up and then click then i am able to see the data on my drive so i do believe the hard drive itself is going into sleep mode
Thanks, my HDD is a SeaGate. I think i will try. What kind of application (or script) do you use for backup data through USB on your f2-210?
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

theres a program you can install from the applications list called USB Copy

its quite simple to use you just select the share / folder you want to backup and then select the destination and when you want it to happen and away it will go
F2-210

fabiobiscia

Post by fabiobiscia »

{L_BUTTON_AT}sianderson
Mmmm ok, there is some way to backup users folders also?
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

i think you got me on that one, other than to not use user folders, but to set up each user with their own share that they can access which USB backup can also see to back up

or are you referring to users folders on their own computer?
F2-210

fabiobiscia

Post by fabiobiscia »

{L_BUTTON_AT}sianderson

Sorry, i didn’t understand what you said. My english is certainly not good. USBCopy allows to backup data from shared folder such as “public” but no private folder. When you create a user on TOS automatically you’re creating a private folder for the same user that obviously is not visible for other users. There’s a way to backup the entire NAS Including users private folders and public folders?
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

i'm afraid no i dont think you can backup users private folders, other people have asked this in the past and support just told them it wasn't possible

however you can create shared folders, give a user access to them but also give the admin user access (this will allow USB copy to see it and back them up to USB) but prevent other users from being able to access the data
F2-210

fabiobiscia

Post by fabiobiscia »

I tried to backup all data with rsync but I ran into some issues. After 180 GB backup (total was 200/210) rsync say every time "I/O error 5" or similar. I opened another thread on this forum. At this moment I have a RAID 0 configuration so an emergency backup is very important. :(