Moving from single drive to RAID

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
mquintana

Moving from single drive to RAID

Post by mquintana »

I originally set up my NAS (F2-221) as a single drive unit on a 1TB drive (btrfs format).

I recently upgraded to dual RAID 4TB drives (btrfs format).

I want to copy the data from my old drive to the new drives so I moved the old 1TB drive to a USB drive enclosure.

The NAS recognizes the drive but does not mount it. It doesn't show up on the file manager.

I tried to mount it through SSH without success. I have very little linux experience, so I don't know if i'm doing it wrong or not.

Would appreciate some guidance or some alternative way to get my data from the 1TB drive to the new 4TB drives.
Attachments
Nas Drives.jpg
Nas Drives.jpg (15.36 KiB) Viewed 2426 times
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Moving from single drive to RAID

Post by TMSupport »

Hello, what's the RAID type of your current two HDDs? Is it RAID1?
If yes, you can move the data from the old single drive to the current RAID1 as following:
1. pull out one hard drive from RAID1 at power on stage;
2. insert the old single to the device at power on stage;
3. reboot the device;
4. copy the data from Single to RAID1;
5. power it off when backup is finished, and pull out the single drive;
6. reboot it with one drive of RAID1, and insert the other drive back to the device at power on stage;
7. go to Storage pool - click Edit and choose “ repair the RAID” from the list.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
mquintana

Post by mquintana »

Thank you for the reply.
I was however unable to access the old drive after step four. Only one volume would show up and I couldn’t see the other one, Nor could I figure out a way to turn it on. I swapped the drives and i realized that only the volume on the left hand drive shows up. My data showed up but the new drive did not...
Am I missing something?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

What's your TOS version? Please reboot the device with the HDDs in RAID1, and insert the old drive at power on stage, and then reboot it again to see whether all of them could be recognized.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
mquintana

Post by mquintana »

My TOS version is 4.1.30

I found a solution that seems to work:

1. pull out one hard drive from RAID1 at power on stage;
2. insert the old single to the device at power on stage;
3. reboot the device
3a. Create a shared folder from the old drive; I named mine Appdata1;
4. copy the data from Single to RAID1;
4a. As it copies watch the status window on the right to make sue the new drive’s used space is going up
5. power it off when backup is finished, and pull out the single drive;
6. reboot it with one drive of RAID1, and insert the other drive back to the device at power on stage;
7. go to Storage pool - click Edit and choose “ repair the RAID” from the list.

After I inserted the old drive and powered down, then powered back up,

Once you've added a hard drive to a new or existing storage pool, you then have to create a 'Shared Folder'. The terminology is a little confusing, as a 'folder' to me is not a drive, however for the sake of this exercise let's say that 'folder' means 'drive'.

When creating a new 'Shared Folder' and giving it a name, you -in essence, are sharing the root of the drive you've just added to the storage pool. Any 'actual' folders then added to this, are added through the File Manager. Once you have added the Shared Folder (drive) and named it accordingly (I named mine Appdata1, it will appear on the left hand side of the File Manager, and appear as a folder. Make sure you assign the correct user privileges as it may not show up again if you don't!
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Yes, a new shared folder should be created on the new volume so that you can access this volume.

Return to “Storage”