Drive stuck "testing?"

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
Henry2

Drive stuck "testing?"

Post by Henry2 »

Hello,
I have a F4-210 with TOS 4.2.08.2101111540. I had 2x 4TB drives at RAID1 and installed a 3rd (Iron Wolf) drive and migrated to RAID 5. Drive 1 & 2 were the RAID 1 drives, and I added Drive 3 and created a RAID 5. It took about 2 days to fully build and then it was fine.

Copying files to the NAS was glitchy, with the file copy failing with network errors, so I rebooted the NAS. First issue was Drive 1 came up with a SMART error about seeks. So it was warning me to replace it. Drive 2 & 3 were "Testing," then drive 2 went "good" and drive 3 stuck at testing. For 3 days.

I rebooted the NAS one more time and the SMART error went away fro Drive 1. All 3 drives on the "drives" display were "Testing," then drive 1 & 2 went "good."

Drive 3 is STILL stuck at "Testing" 3 days later and the NAS still says there is a drive missing.

So, first, I'm of course watching drive 1 closely for any more SMART failure. But with drive 3 stuck at Testing I'm worried that I can't replace drive 1 yet until it goes "good?" I had a thought of pulling drive 3 and formatting it, then putting it back in and letting the NAS rebuild, but that seems like I'll just start the loop all over again.

1. How long should it take for a 4 TB RAID 5 Iron Wolf (not pro) to get out of "Testing" mode and into "Good?"
2. Can I replace a drive while "Testing" is still happening, or is that going to blow me up?

Thanks,
Henry
Henry2

Re: Drive stuck "testing?"

Post by Henry2 »

So I've kept on searching and I found viewtopic.php?f=25&t=37 , which talked about how the RAID 1 array does not automatically rebuild and you have to go into Storage Pool and Edit the object to elect to rebuild it.

I did that and did see that my drive 3 was available to add to the RAID 5 array. So, I check the box and save that but it appears to do nothing. I waited a few minutes and then went through the process again and see again the option to add the drive to my raid 5 array. It seems that the setting does not save properly.
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Hello, how is the situation? You should check whether your hard disk is healthy, otherwise it will affect your data security, please refer to this link:viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1125
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
Henry2

Post by Henry2 »

It's not the SMART thing I am worried about, it's the brand new drive that shows "Testing" status for days while the other two show "Good."

I am pulling the drive now to reformat it in another PC, and let the RAID detect it as new to rebuild the array vs. seeing it as a part of the array.

I hope I survive this!
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Is it possible to let our engineer check it remotely?You can send an email to our tech team to confirm it.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
Henry2

Post by Henry2 »

Thank you VERY much for the offer. However, I did find that your initial suggestion was right - The drive indeed went bad out of box. I took the drive out and moved it to another (Windows 10) computer that refused to boot up with that drive connected. Simply connecting the drive would not allow the computer to complete POST.

I got a replacement drive and it installed perfectly fine. The SMART error is gone again, too, so I am just going to keep watching it. I assume that drive is on its way to failing, but now that the array is healthy again I can let that run a bit.

Thank you for following up so quickly!

BR,
Henry