USB drives change number

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
ChrisOfTheOT
Great Britain

USB drives change number

Post by ChrisOfTheOT »

Afternoon - I have two external USB enclosures, an Icy Box single and an Orico 2-bay.

When I first upgraded to TOS5, these were identified in Control Panel/External Storage as:

Orico - USB1/usbshare1
USB1/usbshare2
(so both shares have the same USB1 drive number - the is no USB2)

Icy Box - USB3/usbshare3

This keeps changing in Control Panel, resulting is backup failures and (now) NAS backups (via USB Copy) going to the wrong drive. (Client laptops use Aomei Backupper, which work okay.) Now I have:

Icy Box - USB1/usbshare1

Orico - USB2/usbshare2
USB3/usbshare3

Before, the drives were listed as USB1/USB1/USB3, in descending order. Now they are in reverse order, USB3, USB2, USB1 in Control Panel.

Please help me fix this :-)

Cheers,

Chris
ChrisOfTheOT
Great Britain

Re: USB drives change number

Post by ChrisOfTheOT »

Well, this is infuriating. The USB drive numbers change after each TOS update. This means all the backups get wrecked. The latest update (30th July) changed usbshare1 with usbshare3. I am completely fedup with this.

Chris
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

please wait for the next USB Copy update.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
ChrisOfTheOT
Great Britain

Post by ChrisOfTheOT »

Thanks for the reply Roy. Please note that backups fail (and get 'lost', even if the space is still taken up on the drive) with USB Copy and TFM Backup. It's a TOS problem, not a specific backup one, because TOS changes the drive numbers in Control Panel/External Drives. This generates a 'Perameter Failure' (or something like that) when the backups try to run - USB Copy or TFM Backup.

Cheers,

Chris
ChrisOfTheOT
Great Britain

Post by ChrisOfTheOT »

Afternoon Roy - I updated to x150 (from x144) and the same happened again. Now I have no backups at all (no NAS backup or client backups).

I 'safe ejected' the Orico twin unit and just left the single Icybox drive. After the update, TOS has 'lost' the single drive altogether (usbshare1) and re-connected the Orico twin drives as usbshare1 & 2. So, although 3 drives are attached, with TOS generated data, only 2 drives show in 'external storage'. Really cheesed-off with this.

Cheers,

Chris
Vman83

Post by Vman83 »

Just had this happen to me and I'm not even on TOS5. I refuse to update until I see more comments on stability as I all I hear about are issues.

At some point today, the 2nd drive in my USB external bay (TerraMaster D4-300 connected via USB to F4-422) just stopped being noticed by the system - literally nothing happened, been home all day. Did a restart and both drive work again except the drive numbers have swapped. Tested the drive and she's stable.

Now my Plex server is now rescanning thousands of files and I had to redo all my custom artwork, sorting, etc.

This is now in addition to the fact that they STILL haven't fixed a new bug that allows me to navigate the D4-300 drives through Windows SMB. Somehow this broke in the latest update.

This is getting very frustrating and I'm running out of options and patience.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}ChrisOfTheOT

As 2-bay or 4-bay enclosure contains USB hub or raid controller inside, such kind of device needs to be specially adapted in the TOS system, like what we did for TerraMaster USB DAS models. So we recommend you choose TerraMaster USB products.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Unfortunately, The USB drive letter and path are assigned by the system according to the mounting order of the USB device, and they cannot be fixed.

Please update your USB Copy to 2.0.73, the new version will remember the USB device based on the product ID when you create a backup task, so the backup task can carry out to a correct USB path.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Vman83

You can update to TOS 5.
Vman83

Post by Vman83 »

@TMroy

Can you confirm issues with stability and most importantly, Plex are resolved? I still see lots of problems being reported in forums. Granted, your team is resolving them quite regularly but there are a lot none the less.

Additionally, do you have a way to successfully migrate all my Plex customizations (e.g., sorted titles, custom artwork) from TOS 4 to 5?

I don't want to have to re-do my Plex server customizations unless absolutely necessary. Also, given the risk of potentially losing data, I don't want to have to copy back 50TB+ of data without some sort of certainty that Plex will work just as fine as it did before.