Windows PC will not talk to F2-210 using SMB

RAID, Volume, storage pool, hard drive, USB, SSD cache and iSCSI LUN
JohnXW

Windows PC will not talk to F2-210 using SMB

Post by JohnXW »

My Terramaster F2-210 seems to have lost SMB contact with my Windows 10 PC, and I need some help in diagnosing the problem.

First, the F2-210 is functional on the network because I can ping it, and I have full access via the TNAS PC app. The app shows the F22 is "working effectively", and I can access all my files via the app.

Up to a couple of days ago, I accessed my files on the F2-210 using mapped drives on my PC.

Yesterday I attempted to backup the F2-210 to my PC (I do this operation frequently) and the connection via the mapped drive seemed to stop working. After being unable to reconnect, I rebooted the F2-210 and my connection was back and working. I tried another backup operation and the connection to the mapped drive dropped out again.

When I delete the mapped drive from the PC and try to reconnect, I am able to fill in my F2-210 login credentials but then get a pop-up message saying "A device attached to the system is not functioning".

When I check back on the F2-210, there are no notifications and absolutely no indications that the NAS is malfunctioning in any way.

My suspicion is that a Windows update might have done something to the SMB client in Windows but really have no way of diagnosing this.

I need help about what I should try next. All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks, John
crisisacting

Re: Windows PC will not talk to F2-210 using SMB

Post by crisisacting »

If the issue is a SMB version one, then the 210 series devices don't have the option to adjust their SMB version in the UI, like every ×64 model does on the newer OS builds.

Windows 10 and newer require SMB v2 at minimum for that to function; you can manually enable SMB v1 client through Add Windows Features, however be advised that it's a security risk (which is the reason it is now disabled by default).
JohnXW

Post by JohnXW »

Thanks for that information.

My Windows 10 computer is definitely running SMB1.0/CIFS.

So does that mean I can't use the computer with the F2-210,
or I have to wait for a firmware update for the F2-210,
or is there another solution (perhaps NFS on Windows, if that is possible)?

I'm at the limit of my knowledge in understanding what is going on here. But I'm guessing others must have the same problem?

Thanks, John
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

JohnXW wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 03:15 Thanks for that information.

My Windows 10 computer is definitely running SMB1.0/CIFS.

So does that mean I can't use the computer with the F2-210,
or I have to wait for a firmware update for the F2-210,
or is there another solution (perhaps NFS on Windows, if that is possible)?
Based on viewtopic.php?f=81&t=3254&start=10, there's likely no TOS 5 coming anytime soon, if at all, for the existing Terra-Master ARM series devices.

As far as NFS, which is a viable option, on Windows 10 and newer, it needs to be the Professional or higher version of Windows to have the option in Add Windows Features.