Encryption key no longer recognized after update

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
zuc

Encryption key no longer recognized after update

Post by zuc »

Hi,

I'm having the strangest issue: the key I always used to mount my encrypted shared folder is no longer working.
The only thing happened since last time it was mounted is the update to the latest version of TOS (4.1.30): is it possible the 2 things are related?
I assume there is no way to recover the content of the encrypted folder... how about knowing how much data was inside the folder? (I can't find a way to get the folder size using the TOS interface)...

Thanks in advance.
ralphy

Re: Encryption key no longer recognized after update

Post by ralphy »

Same here.
The interface always tells me "Couldn't mount RAID! Worng password!". The password is taken directly from a password manager and is not changed since a long time.

I hope Terra Master will find a fix soon. I currently have a remote session with them but I don't know if this will be successful...
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

May I know the former TOS version in return? Is there any special characters in your key for the encrypted folder?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
ralphy

Post by ralphy »

I can't confirm what I had before - as I try to keep my systems up to date I'd assume the version before.

The only special character in the password is a . .

My TerraMaster user interface is in German, maybe this is also an helpful information

I hope this helps to get my data back...
ralphy

Post by ralphy »

Just a result from the live session: We were able to manually mount the encrypted drives over putty and some commands with my password. What proofs that the password is and was right.
The issue seems to be between the web interface and the system.

As I just got advice to rebuild my array without password: is the feature Raid encryption deprecated?
zuc

Post by zuc »

I updated from 4.1.27 ti 4.1.30, so just one step.
My password di include special chars ofc, but nothing you can't enter directly via keyboard with a SHIFT.
zuc

Post by zuc »

ralphy wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 17:55 Just a result from the live session: We were able to manually mount the encrypted drives over putty and some commands with my password. What proofs that the password is and was right.
This is deeply troubling to say the least... Keeping my data safe and being sure I'll be able to retrieve it no matter what is why I put my stuff on the NAS in the first place.
These are the things which should be tested through and through before releasing an update... -_-
ralphy

Post by ralphy »

ralphy wrote: 22 Sep 2020, 17:55 Just a result from the live session: We were able to manually mount the encrypted drives over putty and some commands with my password. What proofs that the password is and was right.

As I just got advice to rebuild my array without password: is the feature Raid encryption deprecated?
Can I count on any feedback? When will the bug be analyzed and fixed and what is happening with the feature?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

As we can't duplicate your issue at our side, do you mind having a remote session from our tech team. If that OK for you, please write an email to our tech team and reservate a remote session.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Terra_User123

Post by Terra_User123 »

Hello,
I had the same issue today! After I upgraded to the new version (4.1.30) the encrypted folders did not work anymore!! The strange part I encountered is that the encrypted forder cannot be opened using the key. However, it can be encrypted using the password of the user authorized to that folder. But then after it was successfully decrypted using the authorized user's password, the contents (subfolders) say it is encrypted..... So what did i do to solved this problem??
I installed the older version back manually (4.1.27). After initializing the system, I can decrypt the encrypted folders normally again! Unfortunately, I did not have a system backup, so I had to installed the Apps and Backups again! After setting everything up, I wanted to try the new version again just for fun... since I know how to solve it. This time I saved the system configuration just in case the problem happens again! After trying to update again, everything works just fine!

Lessons learned:
+ Always make a system configuration backup before updating
+ TNAS can be really annoying and not so professional
+ They should really step up their game to attract more costumers and not disappoint them.

I hope this helps you! I know it can be so frustrating thinking your data is gone!

REMEMBER: Always make a regular backup! ;)

Return to “File Services”