F2-220 extremely low smb write speeds after clean installation.

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
RandomPerson

F2-220 extremely low smb write speeds after clean installation.

Post by RandomPerson »

Before the clean installation write speeds were around 70-80-MB (which is still far from the expected 100+ MB/s, but acceptable for my use case).

After the clean installation, still using the same drives and network configuration as before, write speeds got way worse as can be seen in the images below.
Transferring files from a Linux client I only get around 30 MB/s write.
Using a Windows client for the same files I get up to 50 MB/s write, however the speed often fluctuates (downwards) and falls down to 0 MB/s during transfer.

The files used here are just under 1 GB big each and are being transferred to an encrypted folder on the NAS.
Read speeds appear to be the same as before.
The HDD being written to is an 8 TB WD Red drive.
Attachments
Writing to the NAS from a Windows client
Writing to the NAS from a Windows client
Writing to the NAS from a Linux client
Writing to the NAS from a Linux client
TNAS-linux-smb-client.jpg (22.71 KiB) Viewed 3297 times
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: F2-220 extremely low smb write speeds after clean installation.

Post by TMSupport »

Is it the same speed when transferring files to NAS non-encrypted folders?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
RandomPerson

Post by RandomPerson »

No, to my surprise I am now able to transfer files mostly at full speed to non-encrypted folders.
However, I still think that a 70% performance loss for encryption is a bit too much.
Moreover, before the clean install I was able to transfer files from the same windows client to the NAS with higher transfer speeds and without it constantly dropping to 0 MB/s.
It might have something to do with the TOS Version?
Sadly I do not remember which Version of TOS I was running before.
Attachments
transfer to non encrypted folder
transfer to non encrypted folder
transfer-non-encrypted.jpg (21.13 KiB) Viewed 3281 times
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Thanks for the feedback, we will test the transferring speed to encrypted folders on different TOS version, and get back to you.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
hexscyn

Post by hexscyn »

Did anyone finally get back to you on this issue? I’m experiencing the same issue, slow file copy and dropping to 0mbps to NAS only, the attached USB external drive stays consistent and around 90mbps on a 1Gb network.
joeh

Post by joeh »

hexscyn wrote: 27 Dec 2020, 02:30 Did anyone finally get back to you on this issue? I’m experiencing the same issue, slow file copy and dropping to 0mbps to NAS only, the attached USB external drive stays consistent and around 90mbps on a 1Gb network.
Hello,

If you search the forum you will find other posts that mention slow speeds when copying files. Which NAS do you have and what filesystem do you have? I won't ask which TOS version you have because that doesn't seem to matter in my trouvleshooting. I started with 4.1.30 and now have 4.2.07 installed. I've reached out to support about the issue by email and still no solution.

I have the F2-422 and copy from Windows 10 to the NAS using SMB. Any files I copy to the NAS the speeds fluctuate (close to 0 at times) instead of being a consistent 109MB/s - 112MB/s like on the low end Synology DS2020J I first tried.
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

hexscyn wrote: 27 Dec 2020, 02:30 Did anyone finally get back to you on this issue? I’m experiencing the same issue, slow file copy and dropping to 0mbps to NAS only, the attached USB external drive stays consistent and around 90mbps on a 1Gb network.
Can you tell us your TNAS model and version? This may be a problem with the hard disk or running out of memory, it is recommended to connect the hard disk to the computer to check viewtopic.php?f=75&t=1125, and make sure that there is enough running memory in the transfer.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
iain.hodgman

Post by iain.hodgman »

I have the same issue with a F5-221 running 4.1.30 and now 4.2.07.

No solution from TM :(

Support suggested that using hard drives that are no on their compatible list might cause the slow write speeds and 10 minutes of no copying activity when copying large 10GB+ plus files, so swapped the WD Blue for WD Red drives and the same issue occurred.

I've initiated a return on the F5-221 as I've wasted so much time trying to resolve the issue and had no success.

Incidentally the read speeds are fine from the F5-221 and I get 110MB/s to 12 MB/s sustained read.