guest sharing with SMB/AFP

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
macmpi

guest sharing with SMB/AFP

Post by macmpi »

I need some of the SMB/AFP shares to be accessible to any users of my LAN, without any requirement for them to log-in: just real & plain guest connection.
Thought I had that running in previous TOS versions, but can't set that up now on 4.1.30: is that a regression?

Obviously works on NFS (as there is no user requirement), but need that on SMB/AFP.
Thanks for any hint.
TerraMaster F2-210 under TOS 4.2.43, RAID1, Btrfs, serving Mac, Linux & Windows clients
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: guest sharing with SMB/AFP

Post by TMSupport »

Sorry credentials are required for SMB/AFP access.
You can share a subfolder or file to your friends without entering password. Please go to File Manager at TOS desktop, right click a file or subfolder and choose "share" from the popup window. Then you can share the generated link to your friends.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
macmpi

Post by macmpi »

TMSupport wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 10:59 Sorry credentials are required for SMB/AFP access.
This is a very serious limitation that no other NAS solution has: why is that?
We can do it via NFS: I can not see any reason not to allow it with other standard protocols such as SMB & AFP.

Sharing link is nice, but is not a solution for all usecases using applications relying on SMB/AFP connections protocols.

Please reconsider this limitation very seriously, so that admin can set unprivileged guest access to select shares.
Hope it will be fixed very soon.
TerraMaster F2-210 under TOS 4.2.43, RAID1, Btrfs, serving Mac, Linux & Windows clients
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

SMB guest sharing is available in the 4.2 beta version, and the official version will be released after a period of time. For AFP guest sharing, we will consider adding it in the future.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
macmpi

Post by macmpi »

TMSupport wrote: 27 Aug 2020, 16:55 SMB guest sharing is available in the 4.2 beta version
Thanks: definitely interesting. Hope AFP guest will follow at same time or close enough.
CraigBee

Post by CraigBee »

How is SMB guest sharing enabled in TOS 4.2? I installed the beta TOS 4.2, but can't figure out how to allow guests SMB access.

I have many devices that need access to files on the NAS that are not capable of using a username/password.

Craig
F5-422, 10gbe, 5x1TB SSD in Raid 5, TOS 5
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Go to Control Panel> User, select the guest user, and click Edit to make the guest user status normal. Then restart the SMB service, you can log in with guest.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
CraigBee

Post by CraigBee »

TMS wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 12:19 Go to Control Panel> User, select the guest user, and click Edit to make the guest user status normal. Then restart the SMB service, you can log in with guest.
I did this, and the "guest" user status is "Normal". When I try to access the shared folder from a Windows 10 machine, a pop up asks me to "Enter Network Credentials". What else can I try, or what other information can I provide?

To clarify, I desire to allow access to the shared folder without entering any network credentials. This is how it works with my current NAS works (and all other NAS systems I am aware of).

Craig
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

CraigBee wrote: 29 Nov 2020, 12:31 I desire to allow access to the shared folder without entering any network credentials.
You can edit the “guest” user to read and write permissions.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
CraigBee

Post by CraigBee »

I changed the Permissions for the guest user to Read/Write for all directories. I tested on 2 other Windows 10 machines, and it is still requesting network credentials. I confirmed I am on TOS 4.2.0.6-2011031752.

Thank you for the help so far. I hope I can configure access to a shared directory without requiring any credentials to be entered.
Attachments
Permission.png

Return to “File Services”