Transfer speed is very low

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
luxnihilo

Transfer speed is very low

Post by luxnihilo »

Hello everyone!

Just bought a F4-210 but i'm running in a important performance issue.

Here is my drives in the NAS, in RAID5 :
2x Seagate ST8000DM004
2x WD WD80EMAZ-00WKTA0
(I know the WD is not in the compatibility disk, but I had thoses disks before buying the NAS, hoping it's not the issue)

So when I first configurered the RAID, I started copying all of my files on the NAS (approx. 12 TO), the speed was good enough (100 mb/s). But after a while, the transfer speed got down drastically to around 1-2 mb/s, sometimes even going in kb/s.

What could be the cause for this performance dropdown, and what could be done in order to "scan" the raid for possible issues?

Thanks for the help!
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Transfer speed is very low

Post by TMSupport »

It's been reported from many other users that Seagate Barracuda may have compatible issues when installed in our TNAS, and the speed would be very slow. You can try with other compatible hard drives if you have.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
rmistry22

Post by rmistry22 »

Hi,

I am getting the same, I have 3 Seagate Ironwolf 6TB hard drives in a RAID5 installed in my F5-421, I also have a 256Gb Toshiba SSD cache setup read speeds vary from 30Mb/s to 112Mb/s, it never remains sustained when copying large files<3Gb. Smaller files are a little better, staying at around 60Mb/s - 112Mb/s.
However, writing to the disks is terrible, speeds will drop all the way down to 0Kbp/s and peak at about 60Mb/s.
I have 3 network ports setup in Team also.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Hi, please connect your device to your computer using network cable directly, and please let me know the transferring speed you get in return.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Samedh

Post by Samedh »

God I wish I could get 60Mb a second with SMB. I'm transferring my music library to my TNAS F5-221, via SMB, and I'm getting 3.5MB per second, which means another 6.5 days until it completes. HTTP to the TNAS was 10 to 15 times faster. FTP was 8 to 10 times faster. And the entire time, the TNAS was warning me to switch to SMB because it handles large transfers better.

And I have not been able to connect the TNAS directly to my main PC and be able to reach it. I know it's supposed to pick up DHCP, but I can only get mine to work on the home subnet I've set up at 192.168.1.0/254. This is the only subnet that I have even been able to get it to properly grab DHCP from. The other 2, in different IP ranges, it basically ignores, completely unreachable. I have several PC's, TV's, tablets and phones on each subnet, and never have any problem with any of the devices on them nor DHCP. The fact that the TNAS does not immediately recognize a local DHCP and properly configure itself to work on that subnet is a little concerning in this day and age. I regularly rely on equipment both more expensive and less expensive than the TNAS I purchased to auto-configure itself, and do not have a problem. These are coding issues that have been solved in the market for years.

I also have a Qnap 4 bay NAS, a few years old. I have tried it on all of the subnets, and it recognizes and picks up the local subnet DHCP every time, without fail. It pretty much does not care where it is attached, and write speeds to it via SMB are slightly faster than I can achieve with the TNAS using HTTP.

Please tell me that this is just an optimization issue, that Terra Master are working on updating their SMB support?
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

Hello,

Do you transfer music from your computer to TNAS or transfer music from NAS on other subnets to TNAS?
If the data in the NAS of different network segments used by many people is transmitted to the TNAS via SMB, the transmission speed may be so slow.

You can move the TNAS next to your main PC, then use a network cable to connect them, use the TNAS PC to view the assigned IP and use the IP for SMB access.

Do you mean that TNAS PC can't see your IP immediately? When you connect the TNAS to other subnets, you need to connect the computer using the TNAS PC to the network of that subnet to view the newly assigned IP address normally.
Different devices may have different boot times. Wait for a while after the new TNAS IP will appear on the TNAS PC.

You can send an email to our technical support team and we will check for you: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=608
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
firedrakes

Post by firedrakes »

mine gotten worse.
100 mb to 10 mb. now to 8 to 9 mb. its not even half full. all on a gb network.
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

{L_BUTTON_AT}firedrakes
Hi, Can you describe your operation in detail? Where is the data transferred from? You can refer to the following: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=527
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
firedrakes

Post by firedrakes »

wired connection. gb port thru gb switch back to gb port of nas.
from a hdd(normal one) to said nas. that was just transfer ... nothing else was happen on disk.
usage of cpu was 10 % while tested transfer from nas to pc and other way around.
ram usage is at 45 % on nas
cables are all rated for 1gb speeds.
hdd are health and no issue with all info on drives..

main pc is 32 cores,64gb of ram,multi hdd and ssd.
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

i just want to comment here on this, not entirely sure what is to "blame" for this whether the baracudda hard drive has settled down or whether one of the recent TOS upgrades / patches fixes the issue, but i am quite happy with the performance of running a baraccudda hard drive in the F2-210

but i am now achieving 100mb/s in both directions on my 1gbps lan, previously copying files were limited to 45mb

i had proved that from pc to pc was at 100mb/s so knew it wasnt the network or pc holding it back
CaptureTM1.PNG
CaptureTM1.PNG (4.78 KiB) Viewed 10711 times
CaptureTM.PNG
CaptureTM.PNG (5.56 KiB) Viewed 10711 times
F2-210