Transfer speed is very low

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Transfer speed is very low

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}firedrakes
After studying a large number of cases, we found that most of the complaints about low transmission rate are related to the user's use environment and configuration. We have worked out a troubleshooting list. Please refer to the article to troubleshoot one by one.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
yerc1

Post by yerc1 »

I believe @TMRoy meant refer to this post.
F2-221
is my first NAS, bought in October 2020
Captinmax

Post by Captinmax »

At the end of last year I bought 2 x F5-221 NAS enclosures. I populated each box with 5 x 14Tb Ironwolf Pro hard drives. Each was using RAID 5.

Everything seemed to going well until recently, I was copying files onto Terra-1 and the copy failed halfway through I discovered that I could no longer see the folder I was copying into accross the network.
I tried to log into the box using a web browser and could not.
I powered down the nas box and restarted it using the manual switch.
I could log in again and when using the File Manager in the browser interface I could not see the admin folder. I looked around the setting and got the folder back. After this copying to the NAS was painfully slow.

2 days later the same thing happened to Terra-2 (the second NAS) and this too became very slow.

The reading speed on both boxes ramains fast though.

I did look for a firmware update and the NAS said it was upto date, but the website had a new one. 4.2.09

I also have 2 other NAS boxes, a Synology DS1819+ 8 bay with a 5 bay extention and a Qnap TS-835A 8 bay with an 8 bay extention. Both of these NAS's are woking fine so I know the problem is NOT with the network or switch.

Here are some tests I did
Terrmaster 1
Terramaster 2
Synology
Qnap
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

What's the current TOS version and the file system there? Please download the update package from our website, and manually update your TOS to 4.2.09.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Captinmax

Post by Captinmax »

TMSupport wrote: 22 Apr 2021, 16:24 What's the current TOS version and the file system there? Please download the update package from our website, and manually update your TOS to 4.2.09.
Is this supposed to fix the problem because both my NAS boxes have 4.2.09 installed and both are very slow.
, see my previous post.

Also transferring more than one file at once gets even slower.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Normally, the transfer rate has nothing to do with the TOS, you better troubleshoot your issue refer to this guide.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Captinmax

Post by Captinmax »

TMroy wrote: 02 May 2021, 11:23 Normally, the transfer rate has nothing to do with the TOS, you better troubleshoot your issue refer to this guide.
I don't think you read my original post.

1 day it was working fine then the next day it was slow, the only thing that happened between was I had to reboot the NAS because it locked up and lost my admin folder, when it rebooted and the folder was regained the transfer was really slow. The same thing happened to my second terraNAS a day later.

I have changed nothing other than flashed the newer firmware manually downloaded from the website, even though both terranas boxes said there was NO updated firmware.

I have been through the trouble shooting guide and BOTH of my Terranas boxes are still really slow.

Other NAS boxes, from Synology & Qnap that are situated in the same server cupboard are working perfectly, using the same 24 port switch.
Captinmax

Post by Captinmax »

And the woes never end.

I have replaced all the NEW 14tb hard drives in my second terranas with NEW 6tb hard drives.

It installed TOS 4.2.12 and after almost 3 days it had finished checking the storage pool.

I made 1 folder to copy files into, and proceeded to copy files from another NAS.

Writing speed was 80Mb/s (reading speed from the terranas was 800Mb/s) still quite slow writing.

I went out becuase we have very rare sunshine in the UK today.

When I came back the files had stopped copying without finishing. I could NOT log into the terranas through the browser plus the whole server cupboard network was not available. I could not see the other NAS boxes or the PC that is in the server cupboard and on the same switch.

I pressed the power button on the terranas to shut it down and the whole cupboard network came back to life again. Somehow the terranas had locked out the network.

After rebooting the terranas I saw that only half the files had copied.

It has done the same thing twice since.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Your system crashed during data copying, please try the following solutions:

1. Make sure there is no file or folder contains special characters, like ';
2. Make sure there is no damaged files inside your copy source;
3. May I know what kind of file system you set in your drive? ext 4 or btrfs? if you are running a btrfs file system, please try ext 4 file system;
Captinmax

Post by Captinmax »

TMroy wrote: 04 Jun 2021, 22:31 Your system crashed during data copying, please try the following solutions:

1. Make sure there is no file or folder contains special characters, like ';
2. Make sure there is no damaged files inside your copy source;
3. May I know what kind of file system you set in your drive? ext 4 or btrfs? if you are running a btrfs file system, please try ext 4 file system;
1. No special characters
2. No damaged files
3. BTRFS (can I change to ext4 without losing the files?)

If I do not use the NAS it is fine, I I only READ files from the NAS it is fine, the problem only shows when I copy files TO the NAS.