Issues with AFP and SMB, file system integrity

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
disillusion

Issues with AFP and SMB, file system integrity

Post by disillusion »

Hi,

I am using an F5-221, running on 4.2.40 (I am a bit anxious about the update since I have to restore it to the default settings) in a RAID-5. And I regularly have trouble connecting over AFP (also on SMB but AFP is more important to me), when I am not connecting right after the startup of the device. I enter the credentials for the user that are working for the web acces. Uploading files from my local machine also doesn't work at that point.

The weird thing is that I am restarting the NAS every day (it is automatically switched off at 3:00 AM using the scheduler and restarts the next day in the afternoon around 6:00 PM). Also everyday I get the message about the file system check – even though it was a planned shutdown that shouldn't cause any issues... that doesn't imbue confidence.

Since the file connections are working so unreliably I added a Time Capsule to my setup to make regular backups. I am a bit disappointed by the software quality. In the beginning I had several data losses so I was losing confidence in the stability of the system altogether, now I only have non-critical data on my F5-221.

Is there any way to find out why I can't connect to the NAS or why the shutdown doesn't work properly?

Thanks.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Issues with AFP and SMB, file system integrity

Post by TMSupport »

1. What issue do you encounter when accessing through AFP, attach screenshots if possible.
2. When TNAS starts up, it will automatically check the file system.
If the total storage pool is large, the system will take some time to load, please just wait for a moment patiently.
When there are errors found on the file system, the system will try to correct it, which may take several hours or even days.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
disillusion

Re: Issues with AFP and SMB, file system integrity

Post by disillusion »

1. What issue do you encounter when accessing through AFP, attach screenshots if possible.
In macOS, when connecting to the NAS via the enter-credentials dialog, when I submit my username and password it just wiggles like the credentials are wrong (they aren't) and that's it.

Thinking about the issue I decided to avoid assigning fixed IP addresses now – I will see if this fixes my problem. Is there a way to analyze access errors like a log where unsucessful connection attempts are stored? It didn't look like the NAS couldn't be found, just the access via SMB and AFP was not possible (web UI worked as I said).
2. When TNAS starts up, it will automatically check the file system.
I was just curious if this is the standard procedure for every start or if this is related to an abnormal shutdown. If you say this is normal, I will worry a little less.