HTTP Share not working correctly

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
ChristianCOMMARMOND

Re: HTTP Share not working correctly

Post by ChristianCOMMARMOND »

Hi,

big step forward on the tests.

For my remote web site:

On Firefox:
Left menu always give that there is no data. But IF I select a directory in the right panel, it shows me the files. But double-click on any file fails to open the file. But then, click on the download button fails to download the files (opens a blank page, that's all). So Firefox will never allow to download anything. But it works for txt files (an editor opens with the text).

On Chrome, at this steps, it opens a page with the good link, but for some reason, it is not https (understandable, since your site is not https... But not good, it should be able to keep the https, since it keeps the correct header). Changing it to https allows the download to succeed.

For both, the download button does not work (it does not do anything visible).

So, it seems like this part of the service is a complete failure. But it would be very useful if working. And I think that you are not far of a working product.

Maybe something was done on this since the version I use? When will the last version validated for producton use?

Also good to know, I use (nearly) last versions of chrome and firefox on Linux centos 7.x. But it should be the same on Windows (I use windows 7 for my local tests).

I will appreciate a feedback on this test.

Thank you,
Christian
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

We will have a new release next week, but not so sure if any update on this part. I will check and keep you updated.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
ChristianCOMMARMOND

Post by ChristianCOMMARMOND »

Hi,

Thank You.

I wait for it.

Regards,
Christian
bidmead
Great Britain

Post by bidmead »

These posts are rather old but it's still not clear to me how Terramaster Internet file sharing is supposed to work.

I'm used to being able to create a share link which I then email (or Telegram or Signal) to a friend who then uses the link to download the file or folder. Most NAS systems seem to work like this.

Today is my first day of using TOS, so forgive me if I'm missing something. I've got some way towards the goal by using the link created from the File Manager and then manually editing it to change the local network address to the appropriate tnas.link address.

This looks as if it should work (although having to make the edit manually is distinctly weird---this is a job for TOS, surely?) except that the resulting page seems to require Flash.

Flash is now widely deprecated. Modern browsers no longer support it by default. Surely we should be using HTML5 here?

So, to sum up (if, as I say, I'm not missing something here):

1. TOS should be handling the local-to-internet URL swap.
2. HTML5 code should be handling the page rather than Flash.

I'd very much welcome comments.

--
Chris

(Reviewing the F2-210 for Tested Technology)
bidmead
Great Britain

Post by bidmead »

The workaround to 1. is to run TOS admin using tnas.link. If you're not accessing the NAS locally you'll get a tnas.link URL when you share a file from the NAS. This is useable but it isn't the way other NAS operating system handle this.

2. The fact that this produces a Flash-dependent Web page for the recipient of the file is a bigger problem. Chrome currently offers the option of allowing Flash for that particular page but I wonder how many recipients will know how to do this. Or, indeed, how much longer Chrome will support this.

--
Chris
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

{L_BUTTON_AT}bidmead

We will improve the way we generate shared links in the future.
In addition, are there any parts of our Web pages that use Flash?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
bidmead
Great Britain

Post by bidmead »

Thanks for that very swift response, @TMzethar. Good to hear that you plan to fix shared links.

I'm pretty sure I remember encountering Flash during the initial TOS setup but I can't revisit that now. However, it's definitely here in the shared link sent out to file-share recipients.

--
Chris
Attachments
FlashInTerraMaster.png
bidmead
Great Britain

Post by bidmead »

…however, it appears that the Flash on the page received by the target user of the tnas-link—immensely off-putting though it may be—is only cosmetic.

Tell the target user to ignore the missing plug-in warning and simply use the download button in the blue ribbon at the top of the page.

This is a practical work-around for a messy problem that doesn't reflect well on the TerraMaster brand. This should be very easy to fix and I'm confident we won't be seeing this for very much longer.

--
Chris
Attachments
1611133474-picsay-01.jpeg
1611133474-picsay-01.jpeg (18.49 KiB) Viewed 8850 times
TMzethar
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMzethar »

Thank you for your suggestion, Chris. We will consider adding it into our revision plan.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
bidmead
Great Britain

Post by bidmead »

It seems that it's not just TerraMaster having these Flash problems.

https://hk.appledaily.com/news/20210117 ... LAECJPTCHM

--
Chris