smb.conf and afp.conf keep reverting changes

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
schan7

smb.conf and afp.conf keep reverting changes

Post by schan7 »

I am on a F5-221 with TOS 5.0.176

When I added Volume2 and created a new shared folder before I could rename it. The name of the new folder was default to be "New_Folder2"
Using the UI I was able to change to "share". However, the name "New_Folder2" still remain in smb.conf and afp.conf. The Samba and AFP service keep advertising the "New_Folder2". That is problem #1

problem #2 I can edit the two files and get rid of the "New_Folder2" entry. However, when I restart the NAS, both files revert back and added back the "New_Folder2" entry. I want to be able to change these files with or without the UI and still keep the changes.
henrybecker361

Re: smb.conf and afp.conf keep reverting changes

Post by henrybecker361 »

There are a few potential solutions you could try to resolve these issues:

1. Check the permissions on the smb.conf and afp.conf files to make sure you have the necessary access to edit them.
2. Try manually editing the files using a text editor rather than the UI, and then save the changes.
3. Check if there are any updates available for the TOS operating system and install them to see if they resolve the issue.

If the above steps don't work, you may want to consider contacting support for further assistance. They may be able to provide additional troubleshooting steps or a workaround for these issues.

I hope these suggestions are helpful and that you are able to resolve your problems with the shared folder and configuration files. Good luck!
schan7

Post by schan7 »

my edit to get rid of the "New_Folder2" entry was done in vi. There is no way to do that from the TOS UI at all.

the problem is not my ability to edit the file. Of course I do have permission to edit and save the file, it is the fact that TOS uses some SQL database to build these two files from time to time. Hence my change were reverted. How do I get rid of the reference of "New_Folder2" once it is there?
TMwuu
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMwuu »

{L_BUTTON_AT}schan7

This problem has been verified in our laboratory and has been solved on the system version of TOS5.1. It is suggested that you can upgrade the system to TOS5.1.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
l44fun

Post by l44fun »

I have a similar problem. I have installed plex on the F5-422 TOS 5.0.176-00227.
For my films and series i have created 2 folders with owner plex and group media.This folders are shared with smb.
When transfering films via SMB from Windows-systems they are created with windows-user and -group (adminuser) - so plex cannont read them.
When I change user and group after the transfer is done everythink works as it should.
Tried to add "force user" and "force group" commands inside the smb.conf - but after service restart parameters are removed from the configuration.
How to solve this?