Back Up Methods TNAS Home Server to TNAS Remote Back Up Server

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
PhilJG2021

Back Up Methods TNAS Home Server to TNAS Remote Back Up Server

Post by PhilJG2021 »

I have a TNAS on my home network (TNAS Home) and a TNAS which is an Rsync back up server, set up remotely on my son-in-law's network.
We have managed to get Rsync to work over the internet using the TNAS interfaces on both devices and opening up port forwarding as necessary on the router firewalls.

However I know that Rsync is not a secure method of data transfer over the internet.

Possible solutions - two?

1. If a VPN tunnel was set up between the TNAS's on the separate networks, would rsync use the VPN or could it be configured to use the VPN?

2. I understand that SSH can be configured within the rsync client back up set up, but this option is greyed out. Really could do with instructions as how to set up SSH at the rsync host server end so that the rsync client is able to use SSH
TMwuu
TerraMaster Team

Re: Back Up Methods TNAS Home Server to TNAS Remote Back Up Server

Post by TMwuu »

PhilJG2021 wrote: 31 Oct 2022, 18:24 I have a TNAS on my home network (TNAS Home) and a TNAS which is an Rsync back up server, set up remotely on my son-in-law's network.
We have managed to get Rsync to work over the internet using the TNAS interfaces on both devices and opening up port forwarding as necessary on the router firewalls.

However I know that Rsync is not a secure method of data transfer over the internet.

Possible solutions - two?

1. If a VPN tunnel was set up between the TNAS's on the separate networks, would rsync use the VPN or could it be configured to use the VPN?

2. I understand that SSH can be configured within the rsync client back up set up, but this option is greyed out. Really could do with instructions as how to set up SSH at the rsync host server end so that the rsync client is able to use SSH
The server IP address of the Rsync backup can use the IP address of the vpn.
The ssh transmission encryption function is open in 5.0.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

If you are using TOS 5, try the Duple Backup which encrypts the data transfer with OpenSSL.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
PhilJG2021

Post by PhilJG2021 »

TNAS servers are both F5-221 running TOS4. Is an upgrade to TOS 5 feasible?
PhilJG2021

Post by PhilJG2021 »

Just checked the TerraMaster website and I can see that I can update my TNAS to TOS5, so will be going that route. Thanks