Problems with Folders named 'Desktop'

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
MattS

Problems with Folders named 'Desktop'

Post by MattS »

I saw another post on this, but it was locked and had no answer.

viewtopic.php?t=1833

On a Terramaster F4-210 on TOS 4.2.X, I have issues with creating or copying a folder named 'desktop' to the NAS. We are using this for backups for several PCs, and part of the backup is copying their desktop folder and files. It fails in robocopy, and if I map a drive and just try to create a folder named 'desktop', it fails. I can create 'deskto', and try to rename it to 'desktop' and it fails. That's quite a limitation on this device. Anyone have any solutions?
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Problems with Folders named 'Desktop'

Post by TMSupport »

TOS web page does not display the folder named "desktop" , this issue has been submitted to fix.
The "desktop" folder is visible when using SMB service, you can use SMB access to copy data currently.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
MattS

Post by MattS »

I am attempting SMB connection, which is not allowing folders named 'desktop', contrary to your statement.

Any ETA on a fix? I'm still within my return window, so considering another vendor since this is a showstopper for our use case.
TMnorah
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMnorah »

Hello, may I ask you to report the error message to the screenshot? we will do a second test on this issue.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
MattS

Post by MattS »

When attempting to copy a folder named 'Desktop' I get what is depicted in sshot-1535.
If I try to rename a folder to 'Desktop', I get the same error message.

I have to run robocopy to skip errors in order for our backup to complete for the other folders.
ERROR 2 (0x00000002) Creating Destination Directory z:\company\name\desktop\
The system cannot find the file specified

If I rename the source folder to something other than 'Desktop', it works without issues. That's not really an option in my situation though long term.
Attachments
sshot-1535.png
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Did you copy the "desktop" folder to the user home directory? By default, there is a folder named "desktop" in the user home directory to store desktop files. Please try to copy "desktop" folder to other shared folders.
MattS

Post by MattS »

This is under the primary admin user. There is no desktop folder created. There were no other folders except what is created during the SMB copy process.

If I use the File Manager under TOS management, I seem to be able to created folders called 'Desktop'. However, I cannot using SMB methods.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

By default, there is a folder named "desktop" in the user home directory to store desktop files. And it is invisible.
MattS

Post by MattS »

The 'desktop' folder that we are attempting to create is not under the root directory, but about 2-3 folders deep. Seems there is a filter blocking the creation of a desktop folder anywhere.
TMnorah
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMnorah »

Hi, please try to use other file service protocols, such as FTP, SFTP, WebDav and so on.

Return to “File Services”