Slow upload speed on LAN

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
Isembard

Slow upload speed on LAN

Post by Isembard »

This appears to be a common problem amongst users :

Device : TNAS-B29D
Model : F2-210
TOS version : 4.2.30-2203011629

My upload speed is always limited to about 11 MB/s from my PC to the NAS.
The NAS is connected to the router using Etherrnet cable.
The PC to NAS is via Wi-Fi, however as my current download speed from the internet to my PC is about 45 MB/s, using the same Wi-Fi link, I conclude it's not the Wi-Fi speed or router limiting things.

Any ideas folks?
Hardfecx

Re: Slow upload speed on LAN

Post by Hardfecx »

It depends what you are transferring. If it is a bunch of little files will drop your upload. One big file will increse the speed. And tho connect the Nas vie Wifi is in my eyes not the best solution, because you are limited. Instead try 1 GB/s cable and you will see the difference.
Isembard

Post by Isembard »

Thanks for the response, Hardfecx.

I get the same speed no matter the size of files.

My PC is in an upstairs room, my router with NAS attached is downstairs beside the internet input socket.
I don't understand why internet data from the router to the PC is much faster than data sent to the NAS from the same PC using the same network?
TMRyan
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMRyan »

Ethernet and WiFi generally have different bandwidths.
You can view the bandwidth (Mbps) by opening your computer's network settings, selecting the Change adapter option, and double-clicking on WLAN or Ethernet.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement)
sianderson
Great Britain

Post by sianderson »

11mb/s generally suggests your nas drive thinks its on a 100mb connection not 1gb

does your router have 1gb network ports or is it an older style that only had 100mb?

if you are using Wifi then this is not going through an ethernet socket so its only limited by the Wifi Radio an internet connection, but your nas drive is limited to the speed of the port it is connected to
F2-210

Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

I have the same upload speed with a F5-221 which I presume is limited to 100gbs, so is it worth using a USB Wi-Fi dongle to increase speed? And are they fussy about which dongle?
Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

So after a bit of a search, only the Realtek RTL8812BU USB Wi-Fi Adapters work with TNAS then? Is this correct? Any feedback?
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

Ethernet is always faster than Wifi, (Wifi is half duplex for a start, that means it can either send or receive, it can't do both at the same time, even Wifi 6!, despite what people may try to tell you).

So either run an ethernet cable to PC, or try Powerline adapters, they (like Wifi) are sold using unrealistic claims of speed. (You won't get near gigabit speeds), but you should be able to get to around 40-50MBps.
Or move the NAS to be by your PC and connect directly to the NAS or use powerline or Wifi from you Router to a Switch, with your PC and NAS connected to the switch.
Ex Terramaster user. British citizen, Ex resident of KSA, USA and now in UAE.
Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

Charlie_Croker wrote: 23 Mar 2022, 22:00 Ethernet is always faster than Wifi, (Wifi is half duplex for a start, that means it can either send or receive, it can't do both at the same time, even Wifi 6!, despite what people may try to tell you).

So either run an ethernet cable to PC, or try Powerline adapters, they (like Wifi) are sold using unrealistic claims of speed. (You won't get near gigabit speeds), but you should be able to get to around 40-50MBps.
Or move the NAS to be by your PC and connect directly to the NAS or use powerline or Wifi from you Router to a Switch, with your PC and NAS connected to the switch.
The latter is how mine is set up yet o only get 11mbs max.
TMAY

Post by TMAY »

Hi, TNAS supports Realtek RTL8812AU USB Wifi Adapter and Realtek RTL8812BU USB Wi-Fi Adapter.