Slow upload speed on LAN

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
Charlie_Croker

Re: Slow upload speed on LAN

Post by Charlie_Croker »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Tricky

So can you detail how you are connected from Router, to PC to NAS.
For example: Router to Gigabit switch = Ethernet cable (Confirm that switch is showing 1Gbps connection)
Gigabit switch to NAS (also showing 1Gbps)
Switch to PC (Also showing 1Gbps).

Then how are you testing speed? Best and most non technical way is to copy a 1GB file and time it, then divide file size by seconds taken.
Also how is your NAS configured? (RAID1 (Slow when writing), RAID 0 (Fast when writing), RAID 5 (Slower when writing), RAID 10 (Faster when writing),
Speed of drives. And check any process running on your PC and NAS to make sure they aren't contributing.

Also confirm make and model of Router (and if its on latest firmware), Category of Ethernet cables (Minimum of Cat 5E is needed for 1Gbps and make sure they do not run parallel with any power cables).

on a 1Gbps connection you can hit a theoretical maximum of 125MBps.

For clarity the usual way of describing network speeds are below.
1Gb = 1 Gigabit
1GB = 1 Gigabyte
1Mb= 1 Megabit
1MB=1 Megabyte
10Gbe=10 Gigabit (1,250MBps)
Ex Terramaster user. British citizen, Ex resident of KSA, USA and now in UAE.
Tricky
Great Britain

Post by Tricky »

The PC I have been testing is just a basic desktop with LAN connection to a gigabit switch which both my TNAS are connected to and an Asus DSL-AC88U router, the drives in the TNAS vary but the two I use are 2tb Barracuda 7200rpm one is Raid 1 and one is single disk, not actually timed in seconds, but there is no speed difference between either disk.
Also, same reported speed from laptop used wireless 5g from the same router. I will give the timed test a go.
Charlie_Croker

Post by Charlie_Croker »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Tricky

Ok so I'm my case:

Unifi Security Gateway Pro to Unifi 48 port (Non POE Switch) via CAT 8
Unifi 48 to Netgear XS708M 10Gbe switch via DAC @ 10Gbe
Netgear to Caldigit 10Gbe TB3 Adapter connected to M1 MacBook Pro 16" Via Cat 8
" " TNAS (F2-422) 10Gbe connection via Cat 8 (2x12TB WD White label (Shucked from enclosures)

Read/Write speeds = average 394MBps using AFP:

With the drives you are using on a 1Gb network you should be exceeding 100MBps, if not, try changing cables, restarting router and switch as something isn't right. Can you connect another computer to the network and check network performance with iperf?
Ex Terramaster user. British citizen, Ex resident of KSA, USA and now in UAE.
pedrorey620

Post by pedrorey620 »

I was pleased to find out that iperf3 is available in TOS, we just have to telnet to the box.
Happy testing !!!
sanctimon

Post by sanctimon »

How did you get iperf3 on TOS?
odradek78

Post by odradek78 »

Hi Charlie,

I have a F5-422 and I seem not to be able to use the 10Gb port. My set up is as follow :

I use port 1 to connect to my Internet "box" (that's how we call them in France ;) ) to get to the Internet, it's a 1Gb port on both sides.
And I use Port 3 (10Gb) to connect directly to a 10 Gb network card inserted in my computer (PC). The 10Gb network card seems to be correctly installed with the drivers.
On the TOS application online, I can see that both those connections (port 1 AND 3) are recognised by the TNAS (port 3 as a 10000Mb/s connexion), but whenever I try to transfer (big) files from a my PC, even from a fast SSD, I cannot reach more than 110 MB/s.

So, my question is : Do you think I missed something while configuring my connexions ? How could it reach at least 300 MB/s ? (and theoretically 600 MB/s since the drives inside the NAS are supposed to write at 6Gb/s...).

I hope you can help me. If not, thanks anyway for taking the time to read this.

Charlie_Croker wrote: 25 Mar 2022, 00:27 [at=Tricky post_id=17554 time=1648130401 user_id=140][/at]

Ok so I'm my case:

Unifi Security Gateway Pro to Unifi 48 port (Non POE Switch) via CAT 8
Unifi 48 to Netgear XS708M 10Gbe switch via DAC @ 10Gbe
Netgear to Caldigit 10Gbe TB3 Adapter connected to M1 MacBook Pro 16" Via Cat 8
" " TNAS (F2-422) 10Gbe connection via Cat 8 (2x12TB WD White label (Shucked from enclosures)

Read/Write speeds = average 394MBps using AFP:

With the drives you are using on a 1Gb network you should be exceeding 100MBps, if not, try changing cables, restarting router and switch as something isn't right. Can you connect another computer to the network and check network performance with iperf?