MS Office Applications unable to open files on NAS

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
DharmaChappell

MS Office Applications unable to open files on NAS

Post by DharmaChappell »

I have just setup my TNAS-421 with a pair of Toshiba N300 4TB NAS drives configured as a RAID 1 array with the SMB file service configured. I can access the NAS via Windows File Explorer (Win 10 Pro) and upload / copy many files & folders from my computer to the NAS in a shared folder. When I attempt to open an Excel file on the NAS, Excel reports it cannot open the file as it appears to be corrupted. I can copy that same file back to my computer in a different folder and it opens without error. I have no problem opening NAS hosted files from my old WesternDigital MyCloud unit. Is the problem associated with Volume #1 (SMB) being greater than 2TB (now at 3.64TB)? However I have no problem opening PDFs with Adobe Acrobat.

Is this a quirky bug with Microsoft's Office applications? I was hoping to use this NAS as a Shared Network Drive for files and other content. Downloading the Excel and Word files to my local drives is not convenient. I also plan to use this as the backup target for Acronis Backup software.

Your constructive guidance is welcome.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: MS Office Applications unable to open files on NAS

Post by TMSupport »

I am sorry to tell you that Microsoft office documents including Word and Excel could not be reviewed or edited on TOS webpage. You should download the files to your local computer first. TNAS only support txt and PDF files reviewing at the moment, and Text Editor and PDF Reader in TOS Application center should be installed .
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)