TNAS Mobile shows backed up photos but Web UI and File Explorer show nothing

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
Gengar

TNAS Mobile shows backed up photos but Web UI and File Explorer show nothing

Post by Gengar »

I recently moved and have the space and time to really set up my F5-221.

I have 4 4TB drives in RAID10 installed. When I first got it, I set up everything and was able to use TNAS on my PC and on my phone. At the time I just wanted to backup photos from my phone. On TNAS mobile I was able to login to my user and schedule a backup. The backup did not stay connected for long enough to complete, so I would reconnect and continue the backup. Currently on my TNAS mobile it shows 376 photos have been backed up to my User directory. On my PC I cannot see these photos backed up.

I have 3 user accounts. They are mine, my wife's, and "admin". For this post mine will be called "User" and hers will be "Wife".

When I sign in as User, I see 3 folders "appdata", "User", and "public". I cannot access "appdata". "User" has User > Mobile backup > taimen, and that directory is empty, this is where I am pretty sure my 376 photos should be from my mobile. "public" has 1 photo that was uploaded from my PC while logged in as User.

When I sign in as Wife, I see only "Wife". This folder has Wife > Mobile backup > star2qltesq. This directory has folders for each of her phones albums, Camera, Download, Screenshots, etc. The all have photos I can see in FTP, but I can't open, in the Web UI I can see them and view them in the Web UI. In the FTP I do not see "public" (or "appdata"), but in the Web UI under Wife I also see "public" but it says I don't have permissions.

I have the admin account details written along with the other accounts but it's saying the password is incorrect. I don't believe any photos were uploaded as "admin" so there should be no information there. I also believe that User was assigned admin permissions, but that user can't even access a folder from it's sign in.

So there are two issues -
1. My TNAS Mobile says 376 photos backed up as User, but they are not visible in the Web UI or Windows File Explorer (FTP)

2. My admin account is denying the password I have written down.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: TNAS Mobile shows backed up photos but Web UI and File Explorer show nothing

Post by TMSupport »

Please advise the following information in return:
Current TOS version:
TNAS Mobile version:
Mobile phone's number:

For your questions:
1. denied password of admin, please click "Forgot password" on the login page, entering username as admin and verified email to reset the password with verification code sent to your security email which you set initially.
If the security email is not working, you can reinstall your TOS system to reset the password, please see the steps below:
1). power off your device and pull out all the hard drives
2). power it on and run TNAS PC
3). check your device and click Login
4). insert all your hard drives back and click retry
5). follow the instructions to complete

2. disappeared backed up photos on Web UI, could them be shown under User- Mobile backup when you check with TNAS Mobile?
Please try to backup some photos again to see whether they could be shown at web UI.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gengar

Re: TNAS Mobile shows backed up photos but Web UI and File Explorer show nothing

Post by Gengar »

TNAS PC Version - 3.2.0.4
TOS Version - 4.2.21-2003031748
TNAS Mobile Version - 2.4.13 (Updated but was having a similar issue in the much older version, the UI is completely different now, but both versions said it was uploaded)

1. I tried that, it said my Email was invalid, and I don't recall setting it up so I don't think that will work.
Can I reinstall the TOS system without deleting data that has been backed up? Is that why I remove the drives to ensure no data is targeted? Will data locked to a user still be locked to that user or will the new admin account have full access to all of the data?

2. So in trying to log some issues I was having I noticed my mobile version says it's connected to the wrong IP (...88 instead of ...86) related to resetting up the network and it being assigned via DHCP. When I took a screenshot of this, it moved the counter and said I had now backed up 377 photos but that's impossible because it can't be connected to the NAS on this invalid IP. I took another screenshot and it incremented the counter again saying a new photo was being backed up. None of these new photos are showing in the UI, nor would I expect them too.

If the answers to the first question are that my data is safe through this reset, once I have full access to the data on the drives (about 8GB) I will just uninstall and reinstall the phone app and start from the beginning to see if it works.

Thank you for your quick response!
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

TOS reinstallation will not delete the data on your HDDs. See the instructions below:
Please be advised the TOS reinstallation would not erase your data unless you encounter B below.

Power off the NAS, take out the HDD’s, power on the NAS.
Search the NAS IP address by the TNAS PC App, click on the located IP address and click "Login"
When it says no HDD detected, keep the NAS powered on and install your HDD
Follow the instructions to install TOS
Set your password and time zone

After that, there are two possibilities:
A. You may be directed to the log in page, please go ahead to log in.

B. You may be directed to the RAID creating page, please STOP here and close the window immediately. Please get back to us, and we will need to remote-in to check.

After the TOS reinstallation, to ensure you can see the data in your hard drives, please check the following:

1. Please ensure the admin user has the R/W permission to the shared folders.
Please go to TOS Control Panel – Privileges – User – select the user and Edit – Permission

2. Please ensure the shared folder’s R/W permission is authorized to the user:
Please go to TOS Control Panel – Privileges – Shared Folder – select the shared folder and Edit – please check in User permission and Group permission accordingly.

3. If you are still unable to see the data, please go to TOS Control Panel – Privileges – Shared Folder – Advanced – Restore to
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Gengar

Post by Gengar »

The option to "Install a new TOS system", the closest option to "Follow the instructions to install TOS" says "Data on hard drive(s) will be deleted!"

This is not the RAID creation page, and I understand that moving forward at this point might not immediately erase data but because I have inserted the drives by this step I'm remaining cautious.

Please advise if this is expected and it will not actually erase the data by clicking "Next" on this page.

Again, thank you for your assistance.
Gengar

Post by Gengar »

Sorry the image isn't showing for me above, I must have used the wrong image link.

TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Gengar

Hi, the data stored in your HDDs would not be erased at this step, only the former TOS system and TOS configurations would be erased. You can go ahead.
Gengar

Post by Gengar »

Thank you for all of your support.

I proceeded with the new installation of TOS system. I created a new admin profile and followed the instructions to provide privileges where appropriate.

I can see the old users now. For my User I still see no data was backed up and I have ensured I have full privileges. I can also check the properties now and see that the folder is 183 bytes, much too small to have all 600+ pictures the mobile thought it backed up. I still can see Wife users pictures though the directory structure is slightly different.

I went ahead and tried the new mobile system to see if it would backup to the directory. I turned on the automatic backup and selected my folders, immediately it said 400 photos had been backed up, but none were showing and it would have been impossible to back up that many photos that quickly over my WiFi. I waited a moment and saw it begin to actually back up photos and I can see them now even on the desktop web UI. I'm not sure why it says things are backed up before they are, but it is working to back up and I have full access again.

Thank you again for assisting me!