Info About Subfolder Permission

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
Alexh4e

Info About Subfolder Permission

Post by Alexh4e »

Hi there,

i wanted to ask you an information about what i'm going to configure in a small Office.

I bought a Terramaster F2-210.

In this office we have 6 PC, on these PC works more than 20 People. Unfortunately they have no budget for a Domain Controller and so, all these people was configured as local users... i know is terrible but is that.. (on every PC there is 20-25 local users).

I'm trying to subdivide the work areas of every user with this NAS. My question is:

I delete all local users and keep only 1 Local User for PC (ex. PC1, PC2 etc) and mount the NAS as Network Drive, create 20 Personal Users on NAS withe their permission per Folder under this share drive. After that they see only 1 Mapped Drive, see 20 Folders but every one has a personal folder accessible only by password..is it possible?

Recap:

Z:\\T-NAS\Share (Mounted as Network Drive with admin credentials)
Z:\\T-NAS\Share\Folder1 - Folder2 - Folder 3 (Accessible only by User1 - User2 - User3)

Thanks in advance for your support

Gr
Alessandro
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Re: Info About Subfolder Permission

Post by TMS »

Alexh4e wrote: 21 Mar 2021, 01:43
Recap:

Z:\\T-NAS\Share (Mounted as Network Drive with admin credentials)
Z:\\T-NAS\Share\Folder1 - Folder2 - Folder 3 (Accessible only by User1 - User2 - User3)
Hi,
Cannot affect the permissions of the sub-files of the shared folder, you can use other methods.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
Manni86
Germany

Post by Manni86 »

I just came across this topic now so I'm a little bit late.
Did they consider using Samba as a domain controller? Samba is capable of acting as a domain controller and it's also open source. So there are no costs except the administration and having a machine running it...
I know it's not a direct answer to the question but it would solve the problem with all those local users. ;)
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Alexh4e
Hi,
1. Set permissions for different users in each subfolder on TNAS (select the "Properties" setting of the subfolder in the file management)
2. Then different local users to log in to Windows, and each local user SMB maps the corresponding set of subfolder (does it meet your needs?)
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @