Transfer speed

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
Noem

Transfer speed

Post by Noem »

I have a F4-210 I recently purchased. Has anyone else had issue with the network write speed or throughput? My NAS will go from transferring at 20-50MB/s to bottoming out at 0 for 2-5 minutes at a time before jumping all around. I'm not sure if I have something misconfigured or if there is anything I can do to troubleshoot. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Transfer speed

Post by TMSupport »

For the transferring speed issue, please advise the model number of your hard drive. According to the reports from other users, Seagate Barracuda HDD may have this transferring issue when installed in TNAS. If you are running with this model, please try with different HDDs such as Seagate Ironwolf.
And also you can connect your TNAS to your computer directly with network cable, and transfer the files again to see whether the speed is faster.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Asgaroth

Post by Asgaroth »

I seem to be having transfer speed issues too.

I have the F5-421 with 5 x Seagate BarraCuda 4TB (ST4000LM024) in a RAID-6 pool with a single BTRFS volume/file system.

I am trying to transfer ~ 6TB of data back onto the NAS but I get burst-like speeds, see below:
burst_speed.png
I know these drives are capable of handling at least 200 MB/s sustained in a RAID-6 configuration as I had them previously configured as such achieving those speeds.

I also have the NAS configured in a 4 port static lag group so connectivity should not be an issue.

I understand that BTRFS can have some issues with high write load but I would have expected it to be better than this.

I am transferring these files via the built in FTP service using 4 concurrent sessions with FTP over TLS disabled (as the cert was expired?!)

Any thoughts on how to improve the throughput issues I am having?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Seagate Barracuda is definately not recommanded for NAS!!!
From our experience, this drive will cause a lot of issues especially when you set them to a disk array. Many bad examples were reported!
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)