Transfer rates copying files to NAS are slow and sporadic

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Re: Transfer rates copying files to NAS are slow and sporadic

Post by TMroy »

{L_BUTTON_AT}iain.hodgman
Very appreciate your coming back with testing report. We will use a same WD Blue and exact a same TNAS model to verify if it is a software issue or just an individual hardware issue, although we do not recommanded WD blue, but for testing we are going to take a try. Thanks again!
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
joeh

Post by joeh »

iain.hodgman wrote: 29 Dec 2020, 23:27 The F5-221 went back to Amazon and a Synology 1520+ has arrived to replace it.

I thought I'd install the WD blue drives first as they are new and were lying around unused. If I still had speed issues with copying data, I'd use the WD Reds to at least prove whether the issue was hard drive related rather than NAS hardware or a network issue.

What a difference with the DS1520.

I selected SHR and BTRFS on setup of the volume.

I'm getting 125MB/s stable and sustainable write speed to the Synology NAS with large video files on the same network using the same ethernet cable, connected to the same router and PC using the WD Blue drives that I used in the F5-221.

No issues, no pausing, no dips in transfer speed.

The TNAS estimated 4 days to copy my data but it kept failing so I was never able to backup all my data.

The DS1520 is estimating 11 hours instead of 4 days.

So, it looks to me the original issue with slow unreliable copying of large files on the TNAS was somehow caused by the TNAS hardware or the TNAS software.
I would have to say the issue has to be on the firmware because I have a different TM NAS and have the same issue. It's definitely not due to the hard drives being used as TM support likes to mention. The DS1520+ is currently selling for $624.99 on the B&H website. I don't need that many bays though.
joeh

Post by joeh »

{L_BUTTON_AT}iain.hodgman
TMroy wrote: 30 Dec 2020, 00:04 Very appreciate your coming back with testing report. We will use a same WD Blue and exact a same TNAS model to verify if it is a software issue or just an individual hardware issue, although we do not recommanded WD blue, but for testing we are going to take a try. Thanks again!
WD Blue is not recommended for NAS, as you mentioned, but what you seem to miss is that he also tried with WD Red drives that are on the compatibility list and still had the same issue. The slow transfer speeds are not due to the network or drives...it has to be something on the software.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Yeah, sorry I missed your RED. But what I want to say is that the possibility of software issue is very small, as before every new update release, we test it on different models and mark down the speed from each file service. We did not find the same issue as what happened on your device from the version 4.1.30 or 4.2.07. Anyway, we will verify it.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
iain.hodgman

Post by iain.hodgman »

There could be something very specific with my network setup that affects the TNAS but not the Synology DS1520. Thus I saw issue with the F5-221 and not with the DS1520. But I don't know.

Perhaps TerraMaster will figure out the cause and can correct it or provide a solution to stop it occurring.

My ASUSTOR 606T and other other Synology NAS (DS211J) didn't experience the slow writes and 10 minute periods of inactivity with the WD blue drives, so it's a strange issue.
Krzyrkl

Post by Krzyrkl »

Good morning,

I have the terramaster f5-422 and can also confirm that the transfer speeds to the NAS from my PC are indeed sporadic. The speeds fluctuate greatly.

I am using the lan3 10gig port and transfer speeds never go above 180. Usually between 80 and 180 occasionally dropping lower.

The thing I have noticed is transferring back from NAS to my PC I get steady speeds of 500+ so this tells me there's an issue sending to the NaS. I have verified with 2 Pcs running mellanox connect x2 pci 10gig cards. Both have ssd drives.

The NaS is running 4 8tv wd red drives in raid5
Enigma55

Post by Enigma55 »

I also have a F5-422 NAS with 3 Seagate 16tb Ironwolf nas drives and experience the exact same issue using the 10GE lan port direct to my 10gbe desktop pcie card. No switch involved now for testing. My speed fluctuates constantly up and down from 10mb/s to 80mb/s during large and long term writes. I also constantly get overheating warnings on my Seagate drives during these copy sessions even with the TNAS nas fan set to full speed. The nas is on a shelf in a cold room and this still occurs every time even in cold morning with wind blowing on it, which is why I wonder if this is why the write speed fluctuations occur. I’m going to try installing a Samsung 500gb ssd in it and see if that may resolve anything but it’s definitely a TNAS issue as my synology is always a solid 100mb/s copy all the way across using the same files on its 1gbe connection. I’ve also noticed that when copying back from the TNAS to my desktop I hit speeds around 4-500mb/s on the 10gbe so something with the TNAS write copying is off.
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

{L_BUTTON_AT}Enigma55
Hi,
1. What is your TOS system version and file system? Is RAID created?
2. Is the 10GE LAN port corresponding to the control panel>Network>Network interface>Network status displayed correctly(10000MB/s)
3. This high temperature means that the temperature of the USB is too high and we will modify the prompt later.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @
Enigma55

Post by Enigma55 »

To answer your questions below:
1. I was running TOS 4.2.07 for the past month or two until last night when I updated it to TOS 4.2.10. I have not noticed any difference though with write or read transfer speeds after the update. I currently have (3) 16GB Seagate Ironwolf NAS drives setup as 1 Storage Pool and Volume in a RAID 5 config using the btrfs file system. All drives show status of healthy.

2. I have a CAT 8 cable plugged into LAN 3 where the network status says 10000Mb/s, -, 1500

3. I'm not sure how to answer this statement regarding the temperature. Is there a modification I need to make in my setting?
TMS
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMS »

Hi,
1.4.2.09 fixes the 10G write problem(SMB test?), recommend using ext4 file system
2. You don’t need to make any modification, we will modify the high temperature prompt.
To contact our tech team, please email to support(at)terra-master.com, remember to replace (at) with @