F4-220 bad NFS performance

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
curto

F4-220 bad NFS performance

Post by curto »

Guys,

I am using the F4-220 as a NFS datastore for Vsphere ESXI (5.5) - we replaced an old HP Microserver (AMD chipset) with the Terrastore.

It is used to clone Virtual machines as a fallback emergecy in case of Ransomware or other issues.

We have two major issues

1) We can clone small virtual machines up to about 100GB in size without too many issues (performance is bad but i will touch on that in a minute)
2) When we try and clone larger virtual machines 500GB - the web interface becomes unresponsive (time varies but after about 8 hours) and the only way to recover is to use the power button to power the unit off. We have tried the web interface from a number of different machines and browsers, Firefox (latest), CHrome (Latest), Edge (Latest) - all on 64 bit windows - some windows 10, some windows server 2K8 and 2012.
3) When we perform any clone job we are seeing no more than 5MB/s throughput - our unit is attached to a gigabit switch and is connected at gigabit speed with no errors showing on the port stats on the netgear switch.
4) The ESXI server has a dedicated Intel Gigabit NIC for the connection to the terramaster and is in a VLAN just for these two units.
5) The F4 has 4 x WD Green 2TB drives in a RAID 10 config
6) We have just applied the latest patch on the forum - from here
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=711
7) THis seems to have made the speed worse rather than better - we are currently seeing 2MB/s throughput (according to the Web Interface)

We have upgraded the firmware only yesterday and will wait until the weekend to see if the larger servers can clone or not without locking up the unit. Currently testing with some smaller cloned images around 100GB

Any ideas where to go from here ?

Craig
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: F4-220 bad NFS performance

Post by TMSupport »

Are you cloning the virtual machine via NFS service or TOS webpage? It's possibly that the web interface becomes unresponsive when cloning large machines. and it's suggested to clone via SMB or NFS.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
curto

Post by curto »

I am cloning using the VMware ESXI functionality - the Virtual machines do not live on the Terramaster - they reside on internal storage on the ESXI server (Samsung 860 Pro SSDs) and are then cloned using the Vsphere functionality - so for all intents and purposes it looks like an NFS copy.

I have top running on the system and there is something whack going on - when looking at the web interface it says the CPUs are fine using between 4 and 10% - when i look at top the numbers are in the 8 region for all 3 readings.

There is something weird with the NFs implementation i think

Craig
curto

Post by curto »

Any ideas on this one guys ?

Craig
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Is it possible to let our engineer check it remotely? You can send an email to support(a)terra-master.com to confirm it.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

2MB/s or even 5MB/s is far away from normal speed, to troubleshoot the low rate, please refer to the post: viewtopic.php?f=75&t=527

These are most possible reasons for your issue.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
curto

Post by curto »

Yes i can give remote access to the unit

Will follow up support on this.

I have been through all the troubleshooting for slow performance - hence why i have raised the issue

Craig
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Post by TMSupport »

Ok, we got your email.
curto

Post by curto »

Guys,

I am still waiting for an update on this - is this poor performance and lockups going to be resolved ?

If not how can i go about arranging a return and refund on this unit (purchased from your Amazon Store) as this unit is totally unusable for the intended purpose ?

regards

Craig