External Plex server, NAS hosted files, transcode issues

SMB, NFS, AFP, FTP, web file manager and Rsync server.
Brodieman

External Plex server, NAS hosted files, transcode issues

Post by Brodieman »

About a month ago, out of nowhere I started having issues with Plex playing videos (Plex is hosted on a Windows Server 2019 box, video files are hosted on the NAS). The video and audio would stop but the timer would keep counting up like it was still playing. I looked at logs until my eyes were bleeding, I did not see any errors server side or client side. I did not see anything that gave me a reason to think that was the issue.

After HOURS of testing I think I narrowed down how to reproduce the issue.

When files are hosted by the NAS and they have to be transcoded I get the issue. If the files are local on the Windows machine, even the SAME video files I know have issues, it works fine (when needing to be transcoded).

If the video file can be direct played they work fine. It's only when the video files are on the NAS and they need to be transcoded. I don't think that is an issue with Plex, I think it's an issue with the NAS.

Model F5-221 OS version 4.2.39-2203011626
Brodieman

Re: External Plex server, NAS hosted files, transcode issues

Post by Brodieman »

I decided to say eff it and update to 5, which I was pushing off because you have to factory restore it. Either the factory restore or the update to 5 seems to have fixed it.