Trouble Mounting F4-220 Volume on Ubuntu Linux

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
ZenOokami

Trouble Mounting F4-220 Volume on Ubuntu Linux

Post by ZenOokami »

I've been seeing on the Terramaster site that the TNAS software is available for windows, macs, and linux. However I only see Windows and Mac documentation and download locations.

I've setup two volumes (btrfs) - set them up to allow NFS and SMB on the local network, though every time I try to mount via the terminal of the ubuntu machine I get back: mount.nfs: access denied by server while mounting.

I've also attempted a few other methods using curlftpfs and mount-cifs, but no luck.

Is there something I'm missing? Specifically around the advertising on the TM site that TNAS is available for Linux machines?
Or could someone direct me to useful resources to solve this particular effort?
ZenOokami

Re: Trouble Mounting F4-220 Volume on Ubuntu Linux

Post by ZenOokami »

I ended up solving my problem.

So my solution revolves around Kubuntu v18

Despite mount -t nsf, btrfs, and a few others failing, cifs was the one that succeeded.
So for anyone else in the situation of trying to mount their TM NAS's volume to their Linux box:

sudo mount -t cifs -o username //NASHostnameOrIP/VolumeYouWantToTarget /MountingLocationOnYourLinuxBox

And that worked for me.
digipics

Post by digipics »

Hi. Glad you got it working.

I’ve been mounting an external disk off a Linux box for some time. My experience is that every week or so the mount is lost. I’ve tried adding a cron job to re-mount daily but even that gets overridden about every 5-7 days.

Any thoughts? Do you find your drive gets unmounted? Have you found any successful ways to keep it mounted?

Thanks
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

We have tested NFS mount in Ubuntu linux, and no issue found here. If you can provide some log, then that will be helpfull to study your case.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
digipics

Post by digipics »

@TMroy -- I can mount just fine. The problem is that my attempts to *keep* it mounted are failing.

I have tried adding the mount command to /var/nas/everydayexec - but after a few days, that file gets overridden and my mount command is lost. Thus on a reboot, and sometimes even without a reboot, the mount is unmounted.

So I tried creating a cron entry directly for the mount. Again, the crontab gets overridden after a couple days and reverts back to a default cron.

I'd very much love to know how to get the mount into cron or somewhere that on restart (and daily) it will ensure the mount is active.

Thanks.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Did this happened after you reboot your TNAS? or it just happened without action on your device?
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
digipics

Post by digipics »

Both. It always happens when I reboot - have tried putting the shell script in init.d but eventually the shell script gets removed.

The mount also “dismounts” periodically every week or two.

My belief is that somehow the OS/system sees this Script as malicious and removes it from cron, init.d, etc.

How can I stop that behavior?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Will try to replicate it and let you know later.
digipics

Post by digipics »

Thanks. While you work that angle, could you describe what would cause the OS to replace the cron and remove my items? How can I get around that?
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

Sure.