F5-221 crashes / disconnects

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
Marissa

Re: F5-221 crashes / disconnects

Post by Marissa »

Welp, did some more testing and the system seems pretty messed up.

Installed just a laptop hard drive to see what's going on, and it ran reasonable well for around 20 hours as long as I didn't do anything. I installed my Ironwolf drives after that to check for bad blocks, and the system started hanging again.

When I restarted, my old drives got recognized somehow but the system was again unstable.

I removed my drives again and did a scan on a Linux PC, the drives seemed fine: https://dpaste.com/7NYH8AHFH. I doubt that a single failed checksum causes all these issues.

After backing up I formatted my Ironwolf drives and reinstalled the system again. Again, unstable, the system crashed right away when copying files.

As another test, I reinstalled the OS again, this time on my laptop drive, and started copying files with SMB. The system again crashed pretty quickly, but this time I got a juicy error from /var/log/messages: https://dpaste.com/GU8UGJ8MF

By the way, there seems to be no option during the installation process to completely wipe the drive and start over. I have the feeling that this causes part of the issue: often previously installed programs still appear on the desktop in a broken state.

So to recap what I've tried:
* Ironwolf drives with old TOS: crashes on streaming media
* Ironwolf drives with reinstalled TOS: stable for around 20 hours, then crashes
* Laptop drive with reinstalled TOS: stable for around 20 hours if you do nothing, crashes on blocks check.
* Formatted ironwolf drives with reinstalled TOS: crashes on copying files.
* Reinstalled laptop drive: crashes on copying files.
* Hard drives in Linux PC: work fine.

It seems like something about this OS just crashes whenever you do too much with the hard drives. I'm a pretty technical user and I'm open to working with the team, if you want we can open a remote session so you can see what's going on.

It's really disappointing that both of the devices I've had failed so quickly. They're not cheap machines. Please resolve this!
F5-221 / 4x Seagate Ironwolf 4TB
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

The issues you presenting here are not normal. please ask for a remote session from the tech team by email.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Marissa

Post by Marissa »

TMroy wrote: 21 Jul 2020, 00:21 The issues you presenting here are not normal. please ask for a remote session from the tech team by email.
Thanks Roy, I've contacted the team.

Is there any way to do a memtest on my device? I'm wondering if the device shipped with a faulty memory stick, that would explain these weird issues.
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

@Marissa
As you already spent a lot of time on such issues, I prefer let the tech team to help you this time.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
Marissa

Post by Marissa »

Thank you, I have contacted support.

Return to “Network & Remote Access”