Large File transfer fails!

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
paulyuk6

Large File transfer fails!

Post by paulyuk6 »

Perhaps someone could advise please!
I'm trying to move a very large backup file (1.7 Tb) from my Windows 11 machine to my TNAS. I open a standard window on both devices and drag the file across to a folder on my TNAS. But I then get an alert message saying that there is not enough space to copy the file and I should free up more space. However the TNAS has something like 6Tb of space available. So it has more than enough room. So I am simply baffled why this simple task should fail. What is the point of a network storage system if you can't move large files onto it ???

Thanks

Paul
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: Large File transfer fails!

Post by TMSupport »

Please check that the volume where the shared folder located has sufficient storage space.
Please go to Control Panel - Shared Folder to check whether the shared folder has a storage quota set.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
TMroy
TerraMaster Team
China

Post by TMroy »

1.7TB is quite a big folder, it is not recommended to upload such a big folder via web page. you better transfer through file services like smb, ftp or afp.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @:
Support team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support only)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
paulyuk6

Post by paulyuk6 »

Thanks for your replies.
The large file I am trying to copy from my Windows machine to my TNAS is a backup archive created by my AOMEI backup software.
None of the free utilities that are included on the TNAS ( F2-421) seem to offer any way of transferring large files across onto it.
If I run the AOMEI back-up software on my PC and set the TNAS as the destination drive, the transfer rate across my network is so desperately slow that the backup would be running for several days. So a better way is to store the backup locally and then transfer the finished file over to the TNAS. At least it would be if it would accept the file! There are no size limits set for any of the TNAS folders.

cheers

Paul
crisisacting

Post by crisisacting »

{L_BUTTON_AT}paulyuk6
Aomei's backup software supports direct backup to NAS (likely depends on the edition you use), which exclusively uses SMB for that option: https://www.ubackup.com/help/how-to-bac ... 1307348711 If you have Windows 10/11 Pro, you could use Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) to perform an rsync (which would be much more reliable method); this is an adequate guide to setting that up: https://thedatafrog.com/en/articles/bac ... ndows-wsl/
titanrx8

Post by titanrx8 »

{L_BUTTON_AT}paulyuk6
crisisacting wrote: 06 Dec 2022, 23:44 If you have Windows 10/11 Pro, you could use Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) to perform an rsync (which would be much more reliable method); this is an adequate guide to setting that up: https://thedatafrog.com/en/articles/bac ... ndows-wsl/
That's a great idea. I just added a w11Pro PC to my network and will try this. Native windows backup isn't very reliable in my experience.
paulyuk6

Post by paulyuk6 »

I set the storage path in AOMEI to my NAS drive, as suggested, and it worked fine!
Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

Paul