VPN Connection and remote gateway issue

IPv4/6, Port, VPN, proxy, SSH, remote access and more.
jhalfhide

VPN Connection and remote gateway issue

Post by jhalfhide »

Hi all,

I am using the VPN connection on TOS 5, to connect to NordVPN via OpenVPN. The connection is fine, but I do not want the connection to be used by default. I only want the VPN to be used by QBittorrent. That shouldn't be an issue because QBittorrent version 4.5 has the option to select the VPN by selecting tun0 under 'Network Interface'. To stop everything else going though the VPN, I untick 'Use the remote network's default gateway' when setting up the VPN connection. Unfortunately the NAS is still using the remote gateway. Because of this, Plex will not allow me to enable remote access (because I can't port forward with NordVPN).

Is this a bug or am I understanding the 'Use the remote network's default gateway' option?

Thanks
F2-422 running TOS 5.1
Plex/Sonarr/Radarr/Lidarr/SabNZBD
TMSupport
TerraMaster Team

Re: VPN Connection and remote gateway issue

Post by TMSupport »

The local network segment of TOS cannot be the same as the network segment of VPN.
To contact our team, please send email to following addresses, remember to replace (at) with @
Technical team: support(at)terra-master.com (for technical support)
Service team: service(at)terra-master.com (for purchasing, return, replacement, RMA service)
jhalfhide

Post by jhalfhide »

I'm not sure that's relevant to my question/issue.

What is the purpose or function of the tickbox 'Use the remote network's default gateway' on OpenVPN setup?

Is it so that when unticked, the NAS will not route traffic through the VPN? If so, it's not working. Mine is unticked and Plex still goes through VPN.
F2-422 running TOS 5.1
Plex/Sonarr/Radarr/Lidarr/SabNZBD
hazeltorres

Post by hazeltorres »

It sounds like you are trying to configure your NAS to only use the VPN connection for QBittorrent and not for other applications, such as Plex.

The option "Use the remote network's default gateway" is used to determine whether or not all internet traffic on the device should be routed through the VPN or not. When this option is unticked, it means that only the traffic from QBittorrent is supposed to go through the VPN, and other applications should use the local gateway.

However, it seems that in your case, the NAS is still using the remote gateway even when you have unticked this option. This could be a bug in the software, or it could be a configuration issue.

One way to try and solve this is to use a feature called "Split Tunneling" to split the VPN traffic and non-VPN traffic. This feature allows you to specify which applications should use the VPN and which should use the local gateway. This is something that is typically done on the VPN client side, but you can check with your VPN provider or in the documentation of your VPN client to see if this feature is available and how to use it.

Another option is to try using a different VPN client or service that allows you to configure split tunnelling.

In any case, it would be best to change your VPN provider for plex like this https://bit.ly/3DlH9c8